Something about soundstage in open-headphones.
Jan 16, 2006 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Quado

Banned
I was just thinking about something today. I don't know how accurate I am, but does anyone else think that the main reason why open-headphones sound so good in soundstaging (compared to closed), is because (and this is what I just realized today) we actually hear the leaking sound; along with the sound in the ear-cups? It's like we are actually hearing large "ear-cup" sound waves, that then bounce off your ear, and escapes (leaks); and we also hear the leaking along with the direct "ear-cup" sound... This leaking sound is created in part of the actual "bouncing" of the sound off your ears....then (specifically with a good quality component/s) we percieve the sound to be much larger, because the speedy (hot quality) sound leaks into the air; which creates a larger sound-field than what was already in the ear-cup.... So it's like we're hearing layers and mixed motions of sound waves, and not just the sound going straight from the driver and into your ear......

Edit: This would also explain why speakers have a closed-back (because the sound needs to be more forward, and less disturbed--as in vibrations--from the rear).... Edit 2: With closed heaphones, there would be too much sound-vibrations on the back; with the sound being too forward and not open enough. Overall--I think that what I wrote above, is what we ALL usually believe;....but mainly sub-consciously (in a way).

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Er. How do you think your ear could hear soundwaves that are travelling directly in the opposite direction from it? By the time they reach the nearest wall and bounce back I rather doubt they're going to be at a volume where you could hear 'em.
rolleyes.gif

no, I think the reason is more simply that closed designs almost inevitably produce more internal resonance than open ones, which is bad for sound. Good closed designs deal with the resonance very cleverly, but if you were a headphone engineer, you'd rather not have to deal with them at all, I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 3
When Drivers vibrate they don't just create sound waves in one direction - by their very nature they create it in two. The sound that Open Phones leak is from the drivers, not reflected off your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back