Something a little warmer
Nov 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AnalogSavior

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some opinions.  I'm looking for something a little warmer than my HD598s.  I like a slightly midcentric sound, with a touch of politeness up top.  Bass should not be shy, and a small emphasis over neutral would be just fine.  V-shaped doesn't really work for me though.

Some cans I've owned/tried include:

HD600: Just about right, but maybe a little too rolled off up top.  I found them very good, but comfort was an issue for me.
Audeze LCD2: Like the HD600, just about right, but comfort was an issue.  Their weight makes them uncomfortable to me.
Oppo PM1/2: Would have been the solution, but after extended audition the earpads became uncomfortable.
AKG K702: Don't really care for them.  Shouty, artificial, false sense of detail.
Denon D7000: Great closed can, just haven't found one in a condition or price I've liked.
Hifiman HE560:  Good, light weight, planar magnetic can that is just too bright for my liking.

So that's where I'm coming from. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Hmm - what amp are you using? Is it possible that a warmer tube amp might help your issues with the top-end of some of these headphones?

Well, let's see - what is left in the $800-$1000 range?

Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime
Fostex TH600

That's all I can think of at the moment that is in that price range and not similar to what you have already heard.

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, I feel like I'm running out of options under $1K.   I like my Schiit Vali, but I am looking to upgrade once I find the right can.  A few lower priced options I've considered are the NAD Viso HP50, but I feel it wont be the most comfortable (earpads look similar to PM1) and Philips Fidelio X2. 

I did like the Mad Dog Pro when I heard it briefly, but really didn't care for the Alpha Dog.  Haven't kept up with the Alpha Prime.  Maybe I should look at other T50RP mods?

I love the comfort of the HD800, but I feel that if I have to do the felt mod and extensive tube rolling to round out the treble, I might as well get a different headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back