Someone who owns Westone 3 please do me a favor:)
Dec 5, 2008 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
If you own the Westone 3 and an iPod, could you listen to opening of John Lennon's Imagine with the volume all the way up (its just piano it wont hurt your ears).......can you tell me if there is any clipping on your IEMs, don't EQ, don't use an amp, just the ipod headphone out, the Westone 3s and Imagine.......the clipping is happening with numerous piano songs but I'm choosing Imagine as the testing song because the clipping is very noticeable AND the song is so popular that I suspect many of you have it on your iPod.

Thanks in advanced........please listen to the complete intro (prior to the vocal inclusion).

-Dave

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 13
"all the way up"
ph34r.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 13
iPod maximum volume isnt really loud compared to other higher output DAP. Try Cowon, it will blow your eardrum for sure.

BTW, armature based IEMs shouldnt have any problem playing music at loud volume, clipping shouldnt be happening unless the player are the source of clipping.

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still waiting for someone to try this experiment, because if it unique to my IEMs I will exchange them, but if not.....I will keep the ones I have

I can tell you next week when my W3 arrive... again. But I think someone will have tried by then anyway. Do you mean any iPod? I can try it with the Touch, but which version of 'Imagine' do you have? I only have the MFSL one, so it probably won't sound the same anyway
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you next week when my W3 arrive... again. But I think someone will have tried by then anyway. Do you mean any iPod? I can try it with the Touch, but which version of 'Imagine' do you have? I only have the MFSL one, so it probably won't sound the same anyway
confused_face(1).gif

I have the MFSL verrsion too!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
I have both....it does the clipping on both :) Thanks soozie
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 13
it will be the dap clipping, not the IEM. more than likely the amp in the dap is struggling to produce that. A line out is all the way up too, but there is less effort in line out at full than HP out at full. those little suckers are really sensitive too you are one crazy mutha
confused_face_2.gif
wont be long before all you need is a set of bose

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod maximum volume isnt really loud compared to other higher output DAP. Try Cowon, it will blow your eardrum for sure.

BTW, armature based IEMs shouldnt have any problem playing music at loud volume, clipping shouldnt be happening unless the player are the source of clipping.

you sure? on my IPC160G, 1/5 level of volume is already quite loud for my ears (with w3), I doubt all the way up will blow my left ear drum to the right side (or other way around)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back