Someone Please put comparison of 5th/5.5 gen to 6th gen ipod to rest
Nov 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Malakei

100+ Head-Fier
Okay theres been many rumors around about the differences between the 5th/5.5 gens to the 6th gen ipods .I have to know whats tru and whats hearsay so i can make a descision on whether to keep my 6th gen or not.

1. Ive heard the 5th and 5.5 gen use the superior Wolfson DAC to a cirrus DAC in the 6th gen which is apparently inferior
2. Ive also heard the 6th gen has a superior internal amp to the 5th gen. Now even tho i would be usually using a HPA i still want to know if this is true.
3. Ive heard the 6th Gen has an option for digital out via a breakout cable or someform of cable from the apple connector??? Does this mean it has internal DAC bypassing abilities?? Does this mean the 6th gen can do what the wadia does without the wadia and i can run a digital out to a external amp and dac?
4. What are the software differences if any and which is suprerior.

Can someone put these claims to rest? Everytime i read something its different. Kind of hoping to get some solid info for respected members if possible. This info is not only key for me but all head-fi embers im sure.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 11
I made a quick comment a few weeks ago comparing my 5.5G & 6G.

____

First thing was ER4P straight from HP out.I used my reference Patricia Barber "Cafe Blue"...although I did not take the time to rip to lossless from the SACD it was VBR mp3 at 245+. So shoot me.

First thing I noticed was a higher noise level with 6G, actually higher in the right channel. Overall I heard very little difference in sound. The claim is a slightly warmer, less bright sound with 5.5G and I'll agree with that...if I actually did hear that it was not by much.

I then used LO to Pico with DT-880. Well, the first thing that hit me was how bright the 880 is compared to ER4, recessed mids and all. Still I didn't hear much difference. True...I did do this at 3 AM but I did have a 5 hour nap.

That concludes my exhausting review lol

Bottom line for me is that both iPods are keepers.

____

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 11
I feel the 6th Gen Classic has a better sound than either of the 5/5.5 when using a line out to an external amp. I will go on to say that I had a 4th Gen 60 Gb iPod Photo w/ the iMod by Vinnie. Although the iModded 4th Gen iPod had a little better sound the capacity limitation was enough that I sold it and kept the 160 Gb iPod Classic.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 11
Yeah i hear ya, i just dont know which will yield me better sound. Why cant it be obvious lol. I suppose it may be obvious to me once i hear the two side by side but until then i have only fellow headfiers to guide me lol. I have a feeling my 6th gen with the mundorf gold alloy dock to a good HPA will sound good. Lets hope
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw your WTT thread. For me the 5/5.5G is worth more than a 6G due to the ability to use Rockbox...that's why I decided against selling mine a short time ago.

I use only iTunes, but I swear I read that the 6G classic could use rockbox.
confused.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 11
Aug 6, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the 6th Gen Classic has a better sound than either of the 5/5.5 when using a line out to an external amp. I will go on to say that I had a 4th Gen 60 Gb iPod Photo w/ the iMod by Vinnie. Although the iModded 4th Gen iPod had a little better sound the capacity limitation was enough that I sold it and kept the 160 Gb iPod Classic.

I would like to assume the external AMP help a lot. if want to campaire the differences beteen them. I think it is fair just to hook to their own stocked earphones to have a A/B compairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back