Someone?! male 3.5mm to duel male 3.5mm?
Jan 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jimbob747

100+ Head-Fier
Just got some modded Grado 325i's and they require a 3.5mm jack for each headphone then obviously need to plug into my amp.

Just a question of where on earth can i get a 3.5mm to duel 3.5's?! I'm guessing the person i bought them off has made is own as one is supplied... I have asked but am far too eager to wait for a response if someone can answer me sooner 

Thanks in advance

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 14
Does each plug have two conductor sections or three?

If the re-cabling was done the smart way (using a normal stereo plug, with the other channel left unsoldered), you could just use a splitter.

If it uses mono plugs, you'll have a lot of trouble finding the right adapter.  The other alternative is to re-terminate it yourself with a four conductor 3.5mm plug, which should work with both balanced and unbalanced amps.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Hmm... I think they are mono :/

My knowledge of cabling/re-cabling is not great... I guess it will be by the time these are sorted :p 

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Hmm... I think they are mono :/

My knowledge of cabling/re-cabling is not great... I guess it will be by the time these are sorted :p 

Do they look like the one on the center-left or center-right?

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 14
Center right i believe, thanks for the quick responses by the way sorry i haven't been so polite.

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Center right i believe, thanks for the quick responses by the way sorry i haven't been so polite.

That's a stereo unbalanced plug (as far as home audio is concerned - it's also a pro balanced mono cable, but balanced headphones do without the ground reference).

Here's what you can do to test to see if it's wired as would make sense.  Plug the left and right plugs into a normal source one at a time while playing an album (or test tone) that pans hard left to right (Disraeli Gears by Cream is a good reference, with drums on the right channel and guitar on the left).  If each one plays the correct channel, then all you need is a normal Y-splitter.  The correct channel will go to the correct can.

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 14
From what I can make out from the description, it sounds to me like each of the OP's headphone cups has a 3.5mm mono jack.
If so then something like this is needed, except in 3.5mm rather than 1/4":

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
From what I can make out from the description, it sounds to me like each of the OP's headphone cups has a 3.5mm mono jack.
If so then something like this is needed, except in 3.5mm rather than 1/4":

D'oh!  Thanks, mate.  I see that now, reading the original post again... I somehow got the impression that he had two plugs at the end of a cable...

Sounds like a stupid-hard cable to find...  This ought to work, in combination with two mono 3.5mm cables:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOSA-YMM-261-Stereo-3-5mm-Male-Dual-Mono-Females-NEW-/390284243082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adec0f08a

But that's a bass-ackwards way of doing it.  Obviously a single cable would be much better...

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks alot for the advice guys, I did work out that i needed a 3.5mm mono setup, i was just hoping someone might actually know of one... Instead of going down the splitter route, which is seeming more likely as time passes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back