Someone filed a claim against me on Paypal
Aug 20, 2007 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

EhJayKim

100+ Head-Fier
So, what can I do? I sold him a giftcard, I sent it in the mail, how can I prove that I did? I sent it a long time ago. He filed a complaint and 8 minuts later turned it to a claim...

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 19
yeah, I should have done that. Is there anything that I can do though? I mean, I realize now that I have pretty much no way to prove it, luckily I take the funds out of my paypal account as soon as they clear, but I really don't see how this can be resolved in my favor. I'm just kinda pissed off because I sent it out the same day his payment cleared.

I just opened up my options in the paypal resolution thing, apparently all I can do is give tracking info, give him a refund, or say that I already gave him a refund, other than that, I have no other options, so does this mean that he automatically wins?

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I should have done that. Is there anything that I can do though? I mean, I realize now that I have pretty much no way to prove it, luckily I take the funds out of my paypal account as soon as they clear, but I really don't see how this can be resolved in my favor. I'm just kinda pissed off because I sent it out the same day his payment cleared.

I just opened up my options in the paypal resolution thing, apparently all I can do is give tracking info, give him a refund, or say that I already gave him a refund, other than that, I have no other options, so does this mean that he automatically wins?

You have his address so it shouldn't be hard to find his phone number. Just call him and immediately hang up, do that a dozen times until he doesn't answer his phone anymore. Then go and visit him and ring his door bell, then run away and hide. Do that a dozen times. Then start stalking him so that he knows you are stalking, whenever he turns around pretend like you are doing something else. Also wear different clothing and fake beard and moustache every day. Eventually it will break him. If it doesn't, then take it a bit further by leaving him "gifts" in his mailbox. He will think twice before messing with you again.

Edit: Or you could give me his info and I would do it for you!

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 19
Yep, this is happening more and more in e-payment land, I got stiffed for $300 a year and a half ago because of this same thing. Pay pal is 100 % black and white, you will either need to provide a tracking # to the verified buyer address or you'll lose, they are very stiff even if it is totally obvious it's a scam.

paypalsucks.com will show you theres a passionate group who hates pay pal, not without reason.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 19
So, it looks like I am either going to get charged 45.22 next time I use paypal, or I am just going to have to close my account right? Because...I do believe that this is the end of my paypalling days if they think that I am dumb enough to put money back into my account.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have his address so it shouldn't be hard to find his phone number. Just call him and immediately hang up, do that a dozen times until he doesn't answer his phone anymore. Then go and visit him and ring his door bell, then run away and hide. Do that a dozen times. Then start stalking him so that he knows you are stalking, whenever he turns around pretend like you are doing something else. Also wear different clothing and fake beard and moustache every day. Eventually it will break him. If it doesn't, then take it a bit further by leaving him "gifts" in his mailbox. He will think twice before messing with you again.

Edit: Or you could give me his info and I would do it for you!

What can we do about the police he will no doubt call up?

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 19
The police he is going to call up when I don't give him anything after his claim or the police he would call up after I was stalking him? What would I do if he did call up the local police?

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

The police he is going to call up when I don't give him anything after his claim or the police he would call up after I was stalking him? What would I do if he did call up the local police?

No. I was referring to Patrick's post.
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 19
You sent him something in the mail and you have no proof at all? I would contact the post office and ask if you can get a paper trail of some kind, it's not like you magicked it to him over the ether.

Could you maybe file a counterclaim or something? I have seen some feedback when looking at sellers when buyers have tried to scam them, and all they can do is reply to their own feedback and explain that the buyer is in fact lying.

I've used ebay with 100% success, maybe I should just quit altogether and not bother with this while I'm still ahead of the game. But there's so much yummy scrummy stuff on ebay, I can't! Old pc games, etc
biggrin.gif

Good luck!

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

So, what can I do? I sold him a giftcard, I sent it in the mail, how can I prove that I did? I sent it a long time ago. He filed a complaint and 8 minuts later turned it to a claim...

I feel sorry for you in this case pal. You're taking the fight up-hill. You could have maintained some proof of shipping.

Good luck.

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #13 of 19
Edwood, luckily, I have read lots of paypal horror stories so I have no balance in my paypal account.

3x331m what sort of proof could I have had though for a regular snail mail letter? I mean, the one time I take a shortcut and don't send it verified etc. this happens...go figure. I guess the cheapskate in me wanted to save a few bucks on shipping.

I wish I could file a counterclaim, however he is no longer a registered user on ebay. He closed his account before I could even leave feedback...good thing I didn't! He was a member since Member since: Feb-27-07 and he closed his account in early august. His feedback was 96.6 positive, and he had 136 pieces of feedback so I don't know quite what to think.

I read his negatives, they were things like nonpaying, no communication, shipping the wrong items/items not described, or "dishonest and deceitful".

So, I guess I'll call the PO tomorrow and see what they say. If anybody else has any ideas that would be really appreciated.

Best,
A

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #14 of 19
Sorry EhJayKim to hear about your paypal story. Thanks in head-fi and the great community here I've always done my due diligence so I can protect myself from being scammed. It's a sad thing when people use the system to their advantage to scam honest folks like yourself. Good luck to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back