Someone explain last.fm to me
Feb 18, 2007 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Viperx116

New Head-Fier
Is it worth it to pay the subscription? I sucks that I can't play my loved tracks. And how does the scrobbling work? I use winamp, so if I play songs on it, it will be uploaded to my last.fm profile? And do I need last.fm to be running?

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 3
You can download plugins for various players from the site. Once the plugin is installed, you can access and configure it from within the player itself (generally in the relevant options menu). From that point on, every track you play will be submitted to your last.fm profile after either 40% or 4:00 of it has played (whichever is shorter) without you interfering with the playback (i.e. fast forwarding or rewinding). If there's a problem with the connection, every track you played will be stored in a cache which will eventually be submitted 10 tracks at a time once the connection status reverts to a functional state. You don't need to have any extra software running for any of this stuff to happen.

As for the subscription... I had it once, and the only cool thing about it was being able to see exactly who was visiting my page. Then again, I don't use last.fm as a radio so much as I use it because it's fun to look at my listening statistics every now and again.

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 3
I've used last.fm from when it was still Audioscrobbler, but I only just subscribed. You gain a few little things on the site, but I did it as much to reward them for the service. It's so cheap I think all their users should pay up. I like the stats and I often stream neighbour radio to find new music.

You probably need a plug-in for Winamp, but if you have that you won't need their player to record your listening. I use QCD on Windows that has a plug-in and Amarok on Linux that has it built in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back