Someone at work was telling me how great Bose was.
Feb 8, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But then I noticed he kind of looked down after that.

Some people may say I was trying to educate him, but I felt like an audio snob. I wonder if it's better to just keep my mouth shut because he isn't going to go out and buy the better equipment but instead he will feel crappy about the stuff he currently has.

Is there a better way to let someone know there is better stuff out there without putting them down?

Yep, turn the subject to the music instead. Ask him what he pipes through those Bose. It's more important anyway.

It's a sneak attack, but you can talk gear after that.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several I presume!
I have listened to most of the current BOSE line. From their portable headphones (with and without noise canceling), through their multi-room home setups, to their professional line (4m bass tubes, wall mounted speakers, etc).
They sound "decent", but are massive overpriced for what they are. Imo that is.

Q2 massively overpriced they are.

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #34 of 65
Well there are a lot of "Beautiful Minds" in this world.

But just keep in mind it is the music that is important and if this allows them to get closer to it then the best to them.

I compared the Q2 to my ATH-ANC7 and the ANC7 was much better for me but if my friend enjoys his Bose then i am not going to undermine his enjoyment with my disparaging comments. Why do it....he is enjoying music...we can relate at that level.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #35 of 65
Then, there are the people who mention their Bose headphones/gear as if they are hot stuff, hardly in a modest way. Now, I've run into those folks and it's hard to hold my tongue. Acting like hotshots because they overpaid for average gear. Case in point about Bose.

About 5 years ago, I bought a Bose Wave Radio AND a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Radio (both had the CD player built in). The Bose was $499 and the CS $350 (I had done some research prior to buying). I put them next to each other on a shelf, cued up the same CD and A/B'd them. The CS was far superior, with real bass, etc. Sent the Bose packing (they do have a good money back guarantee). I was trying to show a friend how overpriced the Bose was. He was convinced. That CS radio is still in our bedroom.

Also, a friend bought some of those Bose IEs, and she couldn't get them to stay in her ears, gave them to me. Same problem (sound was okay, but not worth $99. More comparable to an OEM ear bud). I sold them on ebay for $50.

Anyway, my point is, people buy Bose because they believe they are buying "the best," so no reason to burst their bubble if they are at least humble about it. But if they act like fools, then I say lower the boom on them. I've done it only once, but I didn't feel bad about it, believe me. It was some loudmouth guy at a party, and I diplomatically let him know he was being suckered. It actually felt good to do it, cause he was way over the top about Bose. He actually shut up, because I had my spiel ready to go.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #36 of 65
Good advise here guys. I will definitely try to remember and resist the temptation to talk negatively about something like Bose.

I guess this applies in other areas as well, like religion, cars, and houses and so on.

I thought I was a pretty smart guy, but I am starting to realize I am very insensitive to other people's feelings. As guess this is part of getting older and wiser.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #37 of 65
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of non-Bose equipment preached about on here that is overpriced as well. I didn't say there IS, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if there WAS.

Besides, the person who buys Bose and is awesomely pleased and happy with it feels something probably none of us ever will: the end of the line. Guys, we are stuck trying equipment forever. He/she is "DONE."

And you know what? I'd like to have that feeling someday... sigh...

Besides, I like seeing people happy. Audio should never turn into a "mine is bigger than yours" comparison.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #38 of 65
Personally I have listened to the 3-2-1 system and the bose triport circumaural headphones. Both I found to be too bass heavy and the triports were actually very uncomfortable to wear. My mother's triports snapped in half at the headband, and she doesn't even have a large head.

So, from *this* bose-basher's opinion, Bose has too much bass (which is actually kind of muddled) and shoddy workmanship.

Cheers!

edit: I just want to say that every time I hear someone praising Bose, I try to dissuade them from ever buying Bose again and tell them the virtues of other audio companies, such as Sennheiser and Grado. Should there become more of an interest in high end sound, maybe (in an ideal world) we will start to see the loudness wars subside, R&D at the major headphone manufacturers stepped up due to consumer interest in their products, and who knows, even world peace!

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of non-Bose equipment preached about on here that is overpriced as well. I didn't say there IS, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if there WAS.

Besides, the person who buys Bose and is awesomely pleased and happy with it feels something probably none of us ever will: the end of the line. Guys, we are stuck trying equipment forever. He/she is "DONE."

And you know what? I'd like to have that feeling someday... sigh...

Besides, I like seeing people happy. Audio should never turn into a "mine is bigger than yours" comparison.

Great post.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the end, it's all about having fun and ignorance is bliss for all things audio. About overpriced gear, there's a lot of that on here too, especially in the "portable" market. Paying 125$ for an interconnect between an iPod and an amp is even worse than buying Bose IMO...

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would of stabbed him then took a dump on his face.

Kirosia is one of the few people who can make me laugh out loud. Very succinct.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #41 of 65
I have a pair of the original Bose MediaMate speakers and I think that they are... alright. I prefer my D2000s, but, I don't mind listening to them. I just think that they are a bit too bassy.

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A co-worker was telling me how great Bose was. How their speakers and headphones sounds so great.

I told him that Bose was lo-fi at a mid-fi price and unlike other speaker and headphone companies, they spend most their money on advertising and not on research and development. For the same money you can get much better sounding equipment.

But then I noticed he kind of looked down after that.

Some people may say I was trying to educate him, but I felt like an audio snob. I wonder if it's better to just keep my mouth shut because he isn't going to go out and buy the better equipment but instead he will feel crappy about the stuff he currently has.

Is there a better way to let someone know there is better stuff out there without putting them down?

I jut say ,yeah.. Or ask if they would like to try my pair of headphones.. You kind of belittled him.. Not on purpose.. He probably feels foolish now..

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon dude, don't make it act like you're the "good guy" here. You used an analogy (and a poor one at that) that you knew you probably should not have used, then you add a "disclaimer" at the end saying that nobody should care about what you just typed concerning that?

I recall you referring people to the stickies in this forum, if not others in past (and unrelated) threads. I won't do it to you in hypocrisy, but you know which one I speak of.
wink.gif

X2.

Feb 10, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #45 of 65
I had a simliar discussion with a fellow student. He thougt Bose is one of the best things you can buy and I tried to convince him that you can better stuff for the same money. I do not think that Bose builds really crappy stuff it is just overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back