Someone at work was telling me how great Bose was.
Feb 8, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 65
Last night a very good friend of mine who I haven't been in touch with for a while took a pair of triports out of his bag and asked me to hold them for a minute while he reorganized the bag's contents. I managed to not say anything about audio.

arnesto, I have been in the same position in the past and made comments as you did, but after having done it a couple times I have to admit that ignorance- while not quite bliss- is more polite.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #19 of 65
I would of stabbed him then took a dump on his face.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #20 of 65
Just be careful that when you bash Bose, you're doing so with factually correct arguments. A lot of the information floating around the net about Bose just isn't true -- in particular, the link "The Marching Mule" has in his signature is full of wrong information.

Bose isn't as bad as the snobs make it out to be. For some reason, people criticize Bose's designs, but they never criticize Axiom for running rigid cone midwoofers with no control over the breakup node at all, or they never criticize Omega for all many of their cruddy single driver designs, etc. It's a herd mentality to go after Bose.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would of stabbed him then took a dump on his face.

Hey Kiro...don't beat around the bush. Tell us what you really would have done.
eek.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just be careful that when you bash Bose, you're doing so with factually correct arguments. A lot of the information floating around the net about Bose just isn't true -- in particular, the link "The Marching Mule" has in his signature is full of wrong information.

In the interest of more correctly criticizing Bose, I would like to hear which major points are wrong in the article you're referring to.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the interest of more correctly criticizing Bose, I would like to hear which major points are wrong in the article you're referring to.

I'm not going to go through it piece by piece, but as one example: that webpage's author offers this as his major piece of evidence:
am15freqa.jpg

And then he uses that to claim there's a massive hole in the frequency response around 200 Hz: "The bass module and satellites don't even begin to harmonize until beyond -10dB." It's nonsense! That's just a plot of the curves of the subwoofer and the satellites, not the sum of those curves. This is a crossover -- without taking the sum, you can't say anything at all about whether or not there's a hole in the frequency response. The author doesn't understand what he's talking about.

To me, that looks like a perfectly clean 2nd order crossover (though phase isn't plotted, so we can only assume). But it certainly isn't the damning evidence of Bose's inadequacies that the clueless author of that webpage would like us to think.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone?

I don't bash Bose on this forum...at least not that I recall. Back in the early and mid 80s, I enjoyed Bose speakers...specifically the 301 and 901 models. I haven't heard any Bose headphones so I can't say anything about them.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A co-worker was telling me how great Bose was. How their speakers and headphones sounds so great.

I told him that Bose was lo-fi at a mid-fi price and unlike other speaker and headphone companies, they spend most their money on advertising and not on research and development. For the same money you can get much better sounding equipment.

But then I noticed he kind of looked down after that.

Some people may say I was trying to educate him, but I felt like an audio snob. I wonder if it's better to just keep my mouth shut because he isn't going to go out and buy the better equipment but instead he will feel crappy about the stuff he currently has.

Is there a better way to let someone know there is better stuff out there without putting them down?

Everyone has there preconceived notion as to what the "best" is....some are so convinced no matter the evidence, they will not change there mind. For those, all you can do is agree to disagree unfortunately.

A friend of mine is in love with Bose, if they could afford it, there house would be covered room to room with Bose equipment. I've brought some of my gear over for them to audition, give em a taste of what other equipment sounds like. With out missing a beat, eh don't care for it, Bose is better. Why I asked? Well Bose is a more well known name, Bose makes better products, and on and on...

Who am I to argue, they like what they like and I've left it at that

I do not consider my self a "Bose Basher" I just don't care for how they build there products and how they market them. I haven't looked in quit a few years, but the last I checked all there speakers featured a foam surround. At the price point that they sell there speakers that is ridiculous, foam is notorious for dry rotting. I've seen 15 dollar book shelf speakers with better woofer surrounds.

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #27 of 65
I don't really have much to contribute as far as sonic analysis, but I can say this:

The Bose Wave radio might be one of the ugliest pieces of consumer electronics ever made.

p_wr_l_w.jpg

What were they thinking? It looks like they designed it for a retirement home. Actually, on second thought, they probably did design it for a retirement home.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many Bose bashers have actually taken the time to listen to a Bose product?

Several I presume!
I have listened to most of the current BOSE line. From their portable headphones (with and without noise canceling), through their multi-room home setups, to their professional line (4m bass tubes, wall mounted speakers, etc).
They sound "decent", but are massive overpriced for what they are. Imo that is.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #30 of 65
A friend had some Bose Headphones and asked me what I thought of them. I contemplated and since I hadn’t actually heard them I said “you probably won’t rot in Hell for owning them”. To which he responded, “Cool”.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back