Somehow my premium DT880s are extremely uncomfortable :( where to next?
May 17, 2013 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SpencerWood

New Head-Fier
One of the major reasons I purchased the DT880 was the praise that they receive in comfort. Coming from the M50s, I didn't appreciate the weight of the metal headband down on the top of my head. It gave me major headaches. I've used my Beyers for about a week now and they are even worse at this. I can't wear them for more a few minutes without a dull pain in the top of my head developing. I am so extremely bummed. I was really hoping that this would be my last purchase. I had read that people could wear these comfortably all day. I'm not sure if I just have a small head, so the little clamping force that is actually present means that all the weight is being supported by the top of my head or what... color me extremely sad. But where does this leave me...? The premium Beyer line is often cited as the most comfortable headphones out there. Are headphones just not going to ever work for me? Comfort is probably my #1 priority to be honest. Comfort and neutrality. Do I go to IEMS? The AT wing system? Is anyone else out there in a similar situation or am I just crazy. Please help, having somewhat of a headphone identity crisis. You have no idea how long I spent contemplating and reading before I pulled the trigger on these :frowning2:

May 17, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 8
I had the same problem with all those Beyers, except for the DT770 AE and the T1. You will have similar issues with the T90 probably and a few lower Ultrasone models.

Philips Fidelio X1 will comfort your head very well and you'll like the sound definitely.

May 17, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I had the same problem with all those Beyers, except for the DT770 AE and the T1. You will have similar issues with the T90 probably and a few lower Ultrasone models.

Philips Fidelio X1 will comfort your head very well and you'll like the sound definitely.

Maybe I'll have to look into those... It doesn't even look like they're listed on Amazon though :frowning2:

May 17, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 8
Are you from the US? 

Did you check out the Hifiman HE-400? While they are heavier the distribution of the weight on the head is better and soundwise they are really exceptional for the price.

May 17, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Hello!

Why not look into the Sennheiser HD598? 0 clamping force, soft earpads, SUPER lightweight! Not neutral thought...but the mids is what earn my heart!

Hope this help!
Billson :D

May 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Hello!

Why not look into the Sennheiser HD598? 0 clamping force, soft earpads, SUPER lightweight! Not neutral thought...but the mids is what earn my heart!

Hope this help!
Billson
biggrin.gif

I think the lack of clamp is actually the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back