somebody stop me... ~$80 ER6i's, new.
Jun 28, 2005 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

46and2

Head-Fier
Buy.com has Er6i's for ~$80 shipped. I've been wanting to get a pair of IEM's, but had been leaning toward the E4c/UE Super.pro5. It's hard to pass up that price, less than half of the shure/UE. Am I going to lose that much sound quality, in terms of low end? I've been reading reviews like crazy and it seems that the Ety's own the high end, but lack the punch without an amp. These are for an ultra protable setup, so will most likely be ampless.
confused.gif

Thoughts...

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 15
Well I haven't heard the ER-6i's or either of the two IEM's you're also considering. But I will say that if you're considering higher end phones and buy the ER-6i's chances are that while you might be pleased with the ER-6i's, you'll wonder what you're missing out on from the more expensive ones you wanted. Upgrading seems to be pretty much inevitable but if you're already considering higher end phones before you even buy cheaper ones, chances are that upgrading will come a lot quicker. So I'd say go for the best ones you can so to minimize the money spent upgrading...

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 15
from what I gather, the canalphones are in the same league as the more expensive ones... it's just the supposed lack of bass turning me off... it's so tempting, though.

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 15
these are sweet. i am kinda curious what i'm missing, but i'm more than happy with the er-6i. i can't really give you a comparison, but i think the er-6is were the best purchase i have made all year.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Yup. freakin obnoxiously loud cellphone users...mute

Cool, I'm a drummer and I already use Ety's earplugs and they are a Godsend... Nice level attenuation. I already know how to put them in my ears!

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 15
hopefully this isn't threadjacking, but i'm also interested in the ERis. if im looking for something thats smooth and easy to listen to, would you guys recommend e2cs or er6is?

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 15
I have to say that I've been listening to the ER6i's today (taking a break from my ER4S), and I have a new appreciation for them again. It was just pleasant to listen to. Good enough bass once properly inserted, and clear sound with no real glaring faults. It's the Goldilocks of canalphones, not too much in any one area, juuuuust right.

So...I highly recommend them. They are *way* better than the E2C unless you want an abundance of bass. And I dare say they are way more enjoyable than the blunt sounding E3C too.

For the original poster. If you are interested in the high end ones like the E4C, you're likely to end up buying the SuperFi or E4C later anyway, just like I bought the 6i first, and then curiosity got to me and I bought the 4S later (only three months later)

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
hopefully this isn't threadjacking, but i'm also interested in the ERis. if im looking for something thats smooth and easy to listen to, would you guys recommend e2cs or er6is?

I think the E2c will be smoother and easier to listen to. However the ER6i have better sound. The ER6i however suffers from sibilance much more than any other canlphone I have tried, and boosted treble which makes them unsmooth and uneasy to listen to for me. The E2c however is not perfect as the treble is rolled off, which you may not like. I however think you should move up to an E4c, E3c, or ER4.

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 15
80 bucks is a great deal for those ER-6i's! I absolutely love my etys (er6i) when travelling or mowing the lawn, but I wouldn't buy them for a home setup. If I wanted IEM's for a home setup I would go for a higher end phone (ER4S, SuperFi's etc.). But for portable the ER-6i's are definately good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back