Some tips for Vista - Networked audio file playback
Jul 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Quaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
a few tips that i found helped lift an invisible ceiling limit i seemed to be getting whilst playing networked audio files (flac and wav) over a network from a NAS to my vista box via Wi-Fi

maybe this would be ok if the network had no other activity on, but this seems to help saturation whilst other throughput is going on

1) turn off remote differential compression, control panel -> program and features -> turn windows xfeatures on or off -> uncheck Remote Differential Compression

2) The fix involves editing the Registry to turn off Network Throttling. As always create a System Restore Point to backup your Registry, then follow the steps below.

1. Click the Start menu and type Regedit in the search box.
2. Click Regedit.exe at the top of the search results under programs.
3. if you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
4. Navigate to the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
5. In the right hand pane double click NetworkThrottlingIndex and type in FFFFFFFF (that’s 8 F’s) in the Hexadecimal field.
6. Click Ok and restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

3) also, a similar thing, but not sure if its the match of above, so i did this also

1. Open elevated command prompt with administrator’s privileges.
2. Type the following command and press Enter:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

to Enable TCP Auto-Tuning (DEFAULT) - (reverse of above)

1. Open elevated command prompt with administrator’s privileges.
2. Type the following command and press Enter:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal

4) disable QOS in your network/wi-fi adapter properties

Users who are viewing this thread

Back