some thoughts on my new Hippo VB
Dec 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

yossi_s1

New Head-Fier
recently my beloved ex51 (moded) died and i looked for recommendation for new IEMs, heres the thread: (dont bother its too long)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527340/70-iem-s-looking-for-a-very-specific-sound-signature#post_7112952

so i got them and heres what i think:
the Variable Bass thing... useless... i wont talk about it, i just use the mid ones (2 dot), the others sounds bad.
build quality is ok, not good not bad.
cable is awful, i hate this weird not so flex plasticy thing, and plug is weird as well, very big and vulgar.
another problem with the cable beside its feel is that its the worst material when it comes to microphonics, these are awful in this aspect... gets me crazy!
comfort is ok, not too good not bad, wasnt easy at first to get seal with the supplied tips but i got it eventually, when i insert the IEMs to my ear i can hear the driver flexing, some clicking noise, im not sure that this is very good to the driver.
isolation, not very good.

sound:
bass: AMAZING, i would give it 9.5/10. this is how bass should sound IMO, its strong, punchy boomy, goes deep not too strong (weaker then S4 for example).
mid: quite disappointing to me, it lacks in shine and energy, its very recessed.
treble: the good: it extends very high, and its sharp and crisp(i like it that way). the bad: lots of sibilance, every S,C,SH sounds awful, very annoying. the treble also sounds too metallic and artificial.
and now more overall about the sound:
the problem i got regarding the bass is that its very strong, so at low volumes its quite a struggle to hear the rest, these encourage high volume because of that, i crave for more mids and treble and i dont like that.
the overall signature makes heavy distorted guitars sound great, the lack mid also helps for that.
the biggest problem i got with these is that the mid is so weak that some background sounds almost disappear!
and the other problem regarding this area is the lack of power and shine, good example is Staind, his voice is so powerful and full of energy but these IEMs makes it sound boring and unpowered. instead i get lots of sibilance.
vocals do not shine much.

overall im not happy with those, the lack in power makes the music sound like a background noise to me, hard to notice, the energy is gone.
when i listen to my music i like it to be the main event not just something in the background. and the microphonics annoy me as well
i already ordered new ex51 (6$ from ebay, i wonder if those are fakes, ill know when i get them), funny how i prefer 6$ IEMs over the 80$ ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back