Some sweet new school DnB
Jun 3, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 14
A good mix. BSE, Pendulum, Noisia, TB, etc

I'd forgotten how good DnB can sound with a high-end setup...

EDIT: Not sure what DJ Anus' Hemoroids is doing there, a minute of music surrounded by two and a half minutes of inane chatter...bleh...

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 14
You're probably familiar with the Breakbeat Science Phorums; if not, click here.

I especially like the original dnb mixes posted in The Topic (which pertain to this thread); specifically this, this and this mix.

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're probably familiar with the Breakbeat Science Phorums; if not, click here.

I especially like the original dnb mixes posted in The Topic (which pertain to this thread); specifically this, this and this mix.

No I wasn't aware of Breakbeat Science and I thank u for the links, great stuff there.

Here have another one,

http://rapidshare.com/files/38983021...classics_2.zip

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Go to school!

http://www.goldenerajungle.com/

Then maybe you can tell me about new school
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah (junglist since 95-96)

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Oh boy, no offense but this is the ghastly nu-school techstep that brought a wave of goth/metal rejects into the scene in the early 2000's... I guess I have no place saying what drum and bass 'should' be, but overly maximal, chaotic DnB gets old real fast IMO.

And how can you discuss new school classics with nary a mention of the liquid funk sound? Dark, maximal techstep started showing up in 98-99, liquid funk is even 'newer' than that in many respects. When High Contrast came out he exploded onto the scene, going from a no-name to a major player practically overnight with his tracks...he's pure liquid funk.

There's plenty of good techstep too, but it doesn't need to be 180+bpm with samples from horror movies or something...I know a lot of people love this sound but man, I just don't feel it. There are some good tracks but I've been to parties where it was just this sound for like 8 hours straight. Dammit, mix in some funky beats too! I'm just glad guys like DJ Zinc, ShyFX, High Contrast, John B, and others still have some rhythm...

OK, rant over
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 14
Aw yea dnb ftw.

If you can handle 128kbps, there is a lot of good dnb to be heard on dnbradio.com. There are also a lot of archived sets on the website if you click on "podcasts."

I'm DJ Thread... check me out at 7pm EST or find my sets in the archives. All the DJ's are quality!

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just jumping into the convo, don't take it so seriously
wink.gif

Right... And next time if you're gona act like mr. know it all make sure you know what your talking about.

And how much time have you spent in europe?

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 14
People haven't liked it when I've said this of late, but I'll risk it again in the service of opening things up.

The problem with certain exchanges on this thread is this: one's history in a scene shouldn't be seen as de facto credibility. A better resumé is never proof one's ideas are better.

The problem with privileging one's own background is that it tends to make other people feel unwelcome. Individuals who might have conveyed their excitement over some fresh piece of music refrain instead because they don't want to be dissed; because they're afraid of being told they're too amateurish to be allowed to express joy.

Yes, I've been listening to (and, occasionally, programming) jungle for over a decade. Yah, yah, I could share my quirky opinion with the rest of you about the practice of privileging genre labels over articulate descriptions of music itself, but why should I do that when lots of other people find genre labels useful? I'd rather not be dismissive, discouraging, elitist or unfriendly.

No individual opinion, however well researched, is more worthy than anyone else's. No one should feel shy about posting on this thread -- especially not people who discovered jungle last week.

No point in unzipping our pants and waving our resumés in people's faces. The point is to keep the hearth fire going, to get friends to add splinters and chunks.

When American composer Roy Harris heard Chopin for the first time, he said, "Hats off, gentlemen -- a genius!" The music professors to whom he said this smiled at the time, since Chopin was old hat to them. But they said nothing discouraging to Harris because they respected his honest enthusiasm.

Today, we know Harris and his quote but next to nothing about his teachers, which is testament to enthusiasm trumping credentials. The one response I recall is Arthur Farwell's later assessment of Harris: "Gentleman, a genius, but keep your hats on!"

Music appreciation isn't about the slang you use, the names you drop or the scenes you've experienced. It's about the focus and intensity you bring to music in real time. Let's hope this thread maintains a state of constant enthusiasm. Let's hope more people will be encouraged to post their links and impressions.

Thelonius:

The little I've heard of Limewax has sounded promising, especially since he produced some of it at age 17. I hadn't really thought of him as dark: Though his tracks with Dylan are unusually grim and propulsive, he also seems eclectic and prone to silly moods. I'm not sure why I find "God" funny, but I do.

It seems to me there's always been a war (or dialogue) between the utopian and the dystopian in jungle. Heaven and hell set in the future: different continents, different strategies.

Matt and Illah: Thanks again for the links.

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 14
man, i've got a craving for more D&B/Jungle now. anyone have suggestions for D&B/Jungle with punishingly deep bass? i am in a basshead mood. i am talking like, as much bass is "Angel" from Mezzanine by Massive Attack. preferably something available free or on Amazon or something. until then, i'm gonna listen to this; GEJ has quite a large selection!

also: this should be moved to the music forum probably, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back