Some Speakers Demos at CSA in Montclair
Jun 27, 2003 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Cap'n Dan

Head-Fier
Just got back from CSA Audio in Montclair, NJ. Researching turntables, mainly, but got to hear some speakers, too.

Dynaudio Temptations, driven by an Accuphase amp... very cool speakers; stellar smoothness and transparency. I didn't do enough of a listen on those to make any further conclusions, honestly.

B&W 802, driven by Classe... interesting speakers, unique sound. The sales guy said that some people love the B&W sound, others hate it. I agree--I acknowledge and appreciate the greatness, but it's not my style. Very harsh, vivid sound, in-your-face. I think I like things smoother.

Martin Logans, one of the smaller models, driven by the same Classe amp... very nice speakers; smooth and precise with a nice open soundstage and pleasant imaging.

Cool thing about the Martin Logans is that you only get the full sound if you are sitting. If your ears are above the actual height of the speakers (they're electrostatic), the top-end and richness goes away. They basically only disperse horizontally.

Nice place, CSA... not only do they have hi-fi components and a genuine, "old style" interest in them, but they also do home wiring and home theater room work.

CSA Audio Design

Jun 28, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 2
Funny you should start this thread, as I was going to start one similar.

A few days ago, I wandered down to the HiFi store here in town looking to audition some bookshelf speakers, like the Tannoy R1's.

I wasn't getting much "respect" being 18 and all, until I asked the sales assistant about the manufacturer of the "300B" valves in the Audio Space amplifier he had. Suprised that I knew my valves, he then proceeded to help me audition all the speakers in my price range.

The favourite speaker that I heard that day was the Epos M12, driven by a Audio Space integrated valve amplifier, with a Cayin HDCD front end. Everything sounded so real, Norah Jones, Silje Nergaard, and Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds. Sometimes when I listen to speaker systems as good as this one, I wonder why I even bother with headphones.
frown.gif
Oh yeah, that's right, I don't have $6000AU to spend on a speaker system.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back