Some Sony MZ-N707 questions...
Feb 5, 2003 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Khazim

100+ Head-Fier
I have an iRiver ChromeX and I like it, but not it's size and battery life (usually lasts for 12 hours). I've been reading alot about MDs on these boards, and my friend recently got a N505. I've searched around these boards for N707 info but there's still a few things I'm unsure about.

1) What is the difference between LP4, LP2, and SP? I've read that LP4 = 360 minutes, LP2 = 160 minutes, and SP = 80 minutes of music. My friend copied like 3 and a half hours of music onto a disc using SP apparently. I'll probably mess with those things once I actually get the player anyway.

2) I've read that there's no Line Out on the N707. Does that mean that the car adapter takes the sound from the headphone jack? edit: Nevermind, just read about the firmware hack here.

3) Has anyone ever ordered from B-Z Electronics or Hi-Tech Essentials? The other low priced site I found was etronics, who I ordered my V6s from before, so I know they're good.

I've looked into MiniDisc players in the past, but they were too expensive. They seem to be reasonably priced now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 7
Khazim - I too thought MD players were too expensive before and never bothered. I think they're now at a reasonable price and I took the plunge about 4-5 months ago and I love the format.

1) Your understanding of LP4, LP2, and SP is correct. You can get either 74 or 80 minute discs. These times are quoted based upon SP recording which is roughly 260-290 kbps (someone else who knows will tell you more exactly). LP2 doubles that time by using half the bit rate, and LP4 is double LP2 by using half of that bit rate.

2) Yes, from the headphone jack

3) Sorry no experience with any of them.

I have a N707 and I'm pretty happy. If you want a radio some new models will be out shortly and I'd wait for them. If you decide you want a 707 or 505 then you might pick one up on clearance as they bring the new models in.

Feb 5, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
I have a N707 and I'm pretty happy. If you want a radio some new models will be out shortly and I'd wait for them. If you decide you want a 707 or 505 then you might pick one up on clearance as they bring the new models in.

How short is shortly?
wink.gif
I'm not interested in a radio, but getting a N707 at a cheaper price wouldn't be bad. Thanks for answering my questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back