Some short impressions on 5.5g iPod vs Panasonic SL-SX410 (pcdp)
Mar 19, 2007 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Alucard

100+ Head-Fier
Last month I bought a 5.5g 80GB iPod on eBay and it arrived two days ago.

After the recommended initial battery charge of 4 hours I started to rip some of my CD's to the harddrive using iTunes and apple-lossless.
I must say that iTunes is really handy and easy to use, and I just love that it can download the cover art of the albums on your harddrive.

Well, after I’d transferred some albums to the iPod I started my first listen, using my A900LTD. I was not impressed actually and felt that it sounded a bit muddy. But I thought it was because I had listened to my RS2 during the ripping. I also made sure that there were no EQ-ing going on.
I also listened with my PortaPro’s and still thought that something just didn’t feel right about the sound, a bit muddy and dull.
I had no opportunity to try the RS2 with the iPod because I don't have any 1/4"->1/8" adapter.

Then I compared it against my 8-9 year old pcdp, a Panasonic SL-SX410.
"This is how it should sound!" I said to myself the minute I pressed the play button on my cdp.
Everything seemed more alive with more details and less muddiness.
After some more testing I felt more and more insecure about the difference and thought that it was placebo as I’d read that the iPod didn’t sound as good as other DAP's, like the Zune for example.

So today I brought the two players over to my parent’s house along with my Audio Technica cans for my father to have a listen to them. He is somewhat of an audiophile, so I thought that he should be able to tell if there was any difference. I didn't speak so much with him of what I thought prior to the test so his opinion wouldn't get affected.

He started listen to the single Ayreon - Come Back to Me. Firstly track 2 using the iPod, and then track 3.
He then switched over to my Panasonic cdp and repeated the same procedure. When he reached track 3 he started to laugh(!) really loud and stopped the music.
"The iPod sound is completely flat and doesn't have any layering or depth at all compared to the cdp." he said.
blink.gif

Even my mother heard the difference. And said it was huge.

So I wasn't wrong after all, and my iPod has now found itself a new home at my former girlfriend that promised me to buy it for the same price I paid (quite cheap).
I told her about the sound but she didn't heed my warning. I almost feel sorry for her (ears) now.
biggrin.gif

But she doesn't care so much so she won't suffer.

Well, I guess I have to stick with my pcdp for a while then. It sounds really good and I would love to keep it, but it has started to break down due to excessive use.
But I do not regret buying the iPod, it was fun to test it out, but a little sad that I liked the software better than the hardware. :/
I hope that Zune will compare better when it's released over here, hopefully by the end of the year.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 9
You need to use iPod line-out for it to sound good... the headphone-out on iPods is really lacking.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to use iPod line-out for it to sound good... the headphone-out on iPods is really lacking.

Yea I thought so. But I don't want to lug around an amp all the time. :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicman1212 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did u expect the ipod to sound better???

No but not noticeably worse.

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 9
I hope you don't give up hope on portable dap's. There are plenty of players out there that sound pretty good through the line out. Some players that come to mind are the iAudio x5/ D2, Meizu M6, Trekstor Vibez and several others. I'm not tying to sell you on buying a new dap just letting you know there are alternatives. I would probably use my Sony DEJ2000 PCDP if i could get the freeking battery to stop drianing so fast. I think I replaced the battery 3 times now.

Later.
Do!

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 9
No I haven't given up hope yet. As the iPod is my first dap and I have read there are a lot of others that sounds better.
I would love to get the Kenwood HD30GB9 but got a bit turned off when I heard about the background hiss.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you don't give up hope on portable dap's. There are plenty of players out there that sound pretty good through the line out. Some players that come to mind are the iAudio x5/ D2, Meizu M6, Trekstor Vibez and several others. I'm not tying to sell you on buying a new dap just letting you know there are alternatives. I would probably use my Sony DEJ2000 PCDP if i could get the freeking battery to stop drianing so fast. I think I replaced the battery 3 times now.

Later.
Do!

I've owned the X5 and iriver h320 and in my opinion they are both trumped by my current player, the Samsung YP-K5. It has a more natural sound compared to the h320 and better mids than my X5.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 9
I also have a panny pcdp and it also sounds better than my 2nd gen ipod..The ipod sounds good but not quite as good as the pcdp. I do like the convenience of the ipod though and almost never use my pcdp since getting the ipod.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back