Some rock recommendations?
Feb 8, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Right now I simply enjoy the kind of music Linkin park does, rock with electronic and some rap on top of it all.

Deftones. White Pony. (Just going on your written description, Im not familiar with L.P.) This is good

B00004Z400.01._PE21_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

But their most recent doesn't have much rap. But a way cooler cover
wink.gif

B00008YJQW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Feb 8, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 28
If you like Evanescence, definitely check out Lacuna Coil starting with their latest album: Comalies, and you should check out The Gathering, starting with their first album: Mandylion. Lacuna's sound is pretty consistent going back to their other albums (except first EP), while The Gathering's sound evolves a lot over subsequent releases.

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #18 of 28
rockin' rock that rocks and is as complex and good as classical

TMC, try..
Tool - aenema
Tool - Lateralus

as unique as tripping on acid with spider monkeys in the swiss alps.
"changed my whole perspective on ****"

Feb 8, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #20 of 28
Okay, I can't remember what Linkin Park sounds like since it's been so long that I heard them. I do have a couple of Godsmack CDs here though. Building on my knowledge of Godsmack (very little) I would suggest Kittie and or My Ruin (girl bands). They are heavier, and may not be the direction you are looking for. There is also an indie band called Stink Bug that play heavy stuff, that I like about as well as Godsmack (not much). You can find Stink Bug here

I probably shouldn't be giving out recomendations, as I can't really remember Godsmack that well. I'll throw on their first album and come back if this needs any editing.

Sorry about those thread craps some people felt the need upchuck into your thread.

edit; Okay I re-read your posts. Godsmack is broing to you. Me too. I'm listening to Awake right now. Stink Bug may not be up your alley either then. I really like Children of Bodom, they have been suggested already. Really fast and hard stuff.
Okay, you might want to check out some indie bands, go to CD Baby and look around. They usually have good samples to listen to.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #21 of 28
Thanks a lot for all the recommendations guys, I'll look into it and hopefully end up with several artists and albums I'll enjoy. I'm glad I started this thread (despite some less than helpful exchanges in the middle) as I've already found Lacuna Coil to almost exceed Evanescence to become one of my current favorite bands.

Feb 8, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #23 of 28
If you like Lacuna Coil then you might really like Nightwish, aslo check out Dark Moor, another female-fronted metal band with a very listenable sound and some great neo-classical work. You might find Dream Theater interesting, try their latest album, "Train Of Thought," which has a heavyier, more modern sound than some of their previous albums.

Feb 8, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #24 of 28
You could also try Within Temptation. Similar to Lacuna Coil, but lighter.

Personally, I never could bring myself to like Nightwish.. the female vocals are too operatic for me.

Feb 8, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #26 of 28
After sampling some of the bands mentioned I also found The Gathering to be pretty good, while the vocals of Nightwish and Within temptation had some qualities that put me off. There are still a couple I haven't heard yet, but with 2 good albums from Lacuna Coil, I'm already pretty happy.

The rock/rap category similar to Linkin Park is a tougher cookie though as I haven't found anything else I really enjoy longer than for the duration of 2-3 songs. P.O.D. is the only other band in this genre I've listened to somewhat regularly, but I knew about them a long time ago. I think I've just about gone through both sites mentioned earlier without being able to find a good match, so any other suggestions would really be appreciated. And thanks again for all the earlier suggestions.

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #27 of 28
My pick right now is the 'Lost Prophets', with their album 'Start Something'. That's along the same nu metal lines as Linkin Park is, so chances are it'll fit right in to your tastes.

If you're going to be getting a couple of singles to test the waters before you buy, may i recommend "Last Train Home", which is their current single release anyway.

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #28 of 28
If mainstream is what you're after (which happens to be a guilty pleasure of mine...) check out a band called Disturbed. Their first CD is loaded with great tunes that can get your head moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back