Some quick recommendations
Jan 16, 2007 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hrf

New Head-Fier
It’s time for an upgrade I think. At the moment I have Sennheiser HD 500 to pleasure me. I mostly listen to progressive metal and rock. I’ve been looking into Beyerdynamic DT990, is this what I want? I’ve also looked at the Sennheiser HD 595, but Sennheiser is more on the classical part so I don’t think they will satisfy me.I don’t know really what to look for so please post your recommendations. As for the price I wouldn’t go much higher than the price for the Beyerdynamic DT990.

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 8
DT990? No way. The big Bassbeyers are much too slow for these genres. Happy Metal- and Rockheads tend to own a Grado, an Alessandro or an AT A900.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, from what I've seen grado is the best way to go if you’re into metal and rock. But here in Europe they cost pretty much tho :/ I guess I can afford Grado SR 125, although I have no idea if they are any good.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Grado would be my first pick for your genres.....then HD595 or A900.....MS1 is not as refined (way overhyped IMHO). I agree with nickchen that Beyers are too bassy in this situation.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, from what I've seen grado is the best way to go if you’re into metal and rock. But here in Europe they cost pretty much tho :/ I guess I can afford Grado SR 125, although I have no idea if they are any good.

Yup; Grado makes good stuff indeed! Grado also makes another line of phones which are perhaps a little less "fun" than the standard Grado offerings, but are still Grados' at heart although they are regarded as being a little more neutral and analytical. They also sell for a lot less in Europe due to the way they are marketed.

As mentioned, you may want to take a look at the Alessandro line of phones.

The $99 MS-1s may be exactly what you are looking for! A little cheaper in US dollars that the SR-125, but using the same materials, and tuned a little differently.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The $99 MS-1s may be exactly what you are looking for! A little cheaper in US dollars that the SR-125, but using the same materials, and tuned a little differently.

I would highly consider hearing a MS-1 or SR-60..whether you opt to own a Grado or not..the presentation and house Grado sound is unique..

Jan 16, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Thx for the replays! I found a way to get the Grado SR225 for the same price as the Beyerdynamic DT990. So, I'm pretty sold for them right now. For metal/rock headphones I can't go wrong with these? ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back