Some questions while planning my next project
Feb 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tristor

New Head-Fier
I'm currently working on a couple of headphone recablings, but am in the planning stages for my next project. I sorely need to replace my headphone amp and was thinking it might be interesting to try to do a DIY amp, power supply, and DAC all in a single enclosure so as to eliminate the need for interconnects.

I'm planning on basing the amp on the PPAv2 with a crossfeed and the power supply on the STEPS, but am still not sure what DAC design to use. I'm wanting to build a DAC that takes in optical/toslink.

So, Suggestions on DAC base design to use?

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 7
The y1 (gamma1) DAC will have what you're looking for, optical in. You can hardwire its line out to your amp, and extend the optical to the y1. Config "E" will work just fine for you.

There's also the Buffalo DAC, and it also looks nice, but my knowledge of DACs is limited to this point. linuxworks IIRC is also integrating an amp of his with his y1.

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 7
The Y1 looks pretty good, I wonder if its possible to have it take dual optical inputs instead of having the coax input. That'd be something I'd definitely consider doing if so. I'm trying to find an enclosure that might fit all this still as well, digging through Hammond's website.

Ugh, only thing I could find of the size I'd need in aluminum on Hammond's site is $425 at Mouser for the enclosure, so that's a no go. Anybody have suggestions for largish enclosures (12x12" at least 2.5" in height/depth to accommodate 40mm fans)

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Have a look at Par-Metal and Lansing Enclosures. (in particular the 20 series of Par Metal)

As for dual opticals, it may be possible with a toggle switch and two of these. The only problem would be the source of power for those two. There's a 3.3v and 4.5v test point that you could use, however. Or you could use the same toggle to control both power to a toslink in and which spdif signal to output to the y1.

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks, nice find on the toslink module kit and par-metal. Found an appropriate enclosure in brushed aluminum 12x12x3 for $47, very nice.

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 7
One thing to consider with the Par-Metal 20 Series case is that, if not specified, they come with a one piece "back". If you tell the lady on the phone you want "no back", then it comes with two "front panels"(each with it's own frame), one on the front and one on the back, so you can remove the back panel to drill or send off for machining.
It's not a big deal, you can still remove the back and drill it, it's just the same thickness as the case itself.
To help understand, I can take a pic if you like, I have one on the workbench now.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Cool, that's good to know. I'd definitely want to have the front and back panels separate from the top so that I could drill out the spots for my jacks and buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back