Some questions that I have been wondering about them for a while...
Feb 7, 2015 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aviv

Head-Fier
Hey,
I have some questions about soundcards and headphones, and I would like to get some answers if possible.

1) I have noticed that my PC built in soundcard is not good enough, I mean the sound is just 'ok' but compared to my laptop and iPhone it lacks quality.
So my question is, if I will buy an ampfilier + DAC for my headphones (Superlux HD681 Evo), will it solve the problem or upgrading my soundcard is my only option? I just bought these new headphones (still not recieved) and I can't pay that much for both soundcard and ampfileir + dac (found something decent, not expensive)...
2) While searching frequencies response graphs for my Superlux HD681 Evo, I've only found graphs with ranges of 60db - 110db. I have no idea what do they mean and where is the 0db line (Like the headphone.com graphs, which are very easy to understand). Can someone help me understand these graphs?

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 6
1) I have no idea if the ELE dac/amp will improve the sound. Most people save up for a bit more of an upgrade than a £11 dac/amp. I wouldn't set my expectations too high.

2) It doesn't matter whether or not there is a 0db line on the graph. We use frequency response graphs to look at the shape of the frequency response and how much it changes. So, for example, you use addition/subtraction to see how much more (or less) bass emphasis in db there is than the treble. Perhaps your desire to find the 0db line means you are attributing something to these graphs that they are not.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 6
1) I have no idea if the ELE dac/amp will improve the sound. Most people save up for a bit more of an upgrade than a £11 dac/amp. I wouldn't set my expectations too high.

2) It doesn't matter whether or not there is a 0db line on the graph. We use frequency response graphs to look at the shape of the frequency response and how much it changes. So, for example, you use addition/subtraction to see how much more (or less) bass emphasis in db there is than the treble. Perhaps your desire to find the 0db line means you are attributing something to these graphs that they are not.

Thank you for the answer buddy!

About question 2, I got it now, the headphone.com graphs made me a bit confused, thanks!
Now about my first question, My meaning was, whether buying any decent DAC or Ampfilier will pass my 'bad' soundcard that I have and replace the need to buy new one? That is kind of general question, not necessarily about the Ele one. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back