Some questions and JMT Amp?
Apr 24, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #31 of 33
Taphil,

Yeah, I know that iPods work just fine with PCs. My point wasn't to denigrate PCs or extol Macs, but simply to share my own experience and point out the obvious: that finding the good stuff takes time, and that it's wonderful when the component pieces fit together synergistically.

Whatever floats your boat---PCs or Macs, iPods or Nomad Jukeboxes, Senns or Grados.

I hope you find some headphones that make you grin from ear to ear.

--Bill

Apr 25, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #32 of 33
Hmmm, after listening to rock stuff extensively with the HD 600 & Grado 125 side by side for the past week, I would have to give the nod to the 125 by a slight margin. The 600s are excellent with rock, but shine even more with classical and jazz. The Grados are even better with rock due to the more proximal sound stage. I feel closer to the action. That said, the 600s are far more versatile. The 125s are adequate with jazz, and pretty mismatched with classical. If you ONLY listen to rock (and only plan to listen to rock for the indefinite future--can you really be so sure??) then the Grado rock advantage and their easier amplification needs make them a better choice. IMHO. If you want headphones for everything, and will buy an amp of some sort, the 600s are the better choice. Can't comment on the 580s as I haven't heard em, so extensively, but a 580/amp combo would make a lot more sense than the 600 on their own. This is a tough choice! Let us know what you decide!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #33 of 33
...the HD600's were "OK" at everything and "amazing" at nothing at all...except classical, but that's only because of the way they present (with distance). I liked classial music from them, but overall I prefer something more like W100's, because I am closer to the action. I like sitting as close to the front as I can at classical performances...those fortississimos are just so rock 'n roll. Grados do suck for classical, though. It's nice to be close, but on stage in that setting sucks, to my ears at least.

Anyhow, don't get hung up on "advantages" if they're just not your style and aren't what you'll be listening to (e.g. who cares if a can is "more accurate" or "more versatile" if you are mostly listening to average rock recordings and that's it.) Your bottom line should be "most enjoyable" and I am pretty darn sure that anyone here will give you the good, old-fashioned "Go Grado" (or Alessandro) for rock.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back