Some questions after research
Aug 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

niotio910

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

After doing a little research about computer audio such as USB audio, DAC, sampling and resolution (bit). I've a few questions for you:
1. So far, I've thought that a DAC is like a second external sound card of a computer which is better than the on-board sound card. Is it correct?

2. According to some DAC's ads, they can sample up to, for example, 24bit/96kHz. Does it mean that it just (automatically) does upsampling regardless of the quality of the input/source? or its upsampling capability is based or dependent on the source?

3. If an audio file is recorded at 16bit/44.1kHz, can a sound card, a DAC or whatever device sample the sound up, for example, 24bit/48kHz?

4. Which is a better way to improve the sound between a computer and the DAC through USB:
      a. Install a better driver (instead of generic windows)
      b. Buy a device such as USB-S/PDIF or external sound card that has digital output

That's it! I hope you understand what I'm asking :)

Many thanks in advance!

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hi,

After doing a little research about computer audio such as USB audio, DAC, sampling and resolution (bit). I've a few questions for you:
1. So far, I've thought that a DAC is like a second external sound card of a computer which is better than the on-board sound card. Is it correct?

2. According to some DAC's ads, they can sample up to, for example, 24bit/96kHz. Does it mean that it just (automatically) does upsampling regardless of the quality of the input/source? or its upsampling capability is based or dependent on the source?

3. If an audio file is corded at 16bit/44.1kHz, can a sound card, a DAC or whatever device sample the sound up, for example, 24bit/48kHz?

4. Which is a better way to improve the sound between a computer and the DAC through USB:
      a. Install a better driver (instead of generic windows)
      b. Buy a device such as USB-S/PDIF or external sound card that has digital output

That's it! I hope you understand what I'm asking :)

Many thanks in advance!

1.  Your audio files are digital information so they need digital to analog conversion, you can have this take place inside the PC with onboard or soundcard or externally using a DAC module.
2.  It would depend on the DAC, with some it means that is the max output and with others it can signify upsampling.  It really depends on the unit.
3.  Yes, devices can upsample but if it does any good or not is a subject of debate as you are essentially just adding zeros.
4.  Better drivers can help in some cases such as using ASIO drivers.  A lower jitter/higher quality source for S/Pdif is usually favored over lower grade source for S/Pdif.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Very clear answer, thanks alot! 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

1.  Your audio files are digital information so they need digital to analog conversion, you can have this take place inside the PC with onboard or soundcard or externally using a DAC module.
2.  It would depend on the DAC, with some it means that is the max output and with others it can signify upsampling.  It really depends on the unit.
3.  Yes, devices can upsample but if it does any good or not is a subject of debate as you are essentially just adding zeros.
4.  Better drivers can help in some cases.  A lower jitter/higher quality source for S/Pdif is usually favored over lower grade source for S/Pdif.

No

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 5
DACs are snake oil, most of them are transparent, almost all of them function on the same principal with slightly different filters. Your endpoint (speakers, headphones) is what really matters - they're where most the distortion/coloring/loss occurs.

Bad price:measurement ratio in the external hardware market since it's aimed at rich people and fools. Best bet for price:performance is internal cards: Xonar DX on the cheap end, Essence on the high end, and EMU 0404 if you need external.

The jitter you will find in all modern gear in negligible and inaudible. Cables don't make a difference - unless you've got a faulty cable which you'd rightly want to return. For $1 million incentive, nobody has been able to prove cables do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back