Some questions about the P-Vcap dock
Oct 4, 2008 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

michael viscera

New Head-Fier
Hello. I have some elemental questions regarding the portable V-cap dock for the imod, so bear with me
wink.gif

If I'm going to use the V-cap just with the imod (no amp involved), I'm gonna use the headphone output from the imod and not the one from the V-cap dock for regular listening? Since the V-cap dock mini and RCA outputs are exclusively for use with an amp right?
confused_face(1).gif

I am asking this because I'm not experiencing neither the "muddiness" of the caps unburned that some people claim nor the "benefits" that some others do(yet). Actually, I haven't noticed any musical alteration (good or bad) at all since pluggin' the V-caps to the imod -with the proprietary cryo dock of course- so I'm wondering. So far, I'm keeping an open mind.
smile_phones.gif

As for burning the caps, I assume that I can use a regular cd/dvd player with the RCA audio outputs to the V-cap dock with a 1/8" adapter into the input and let them play 'till they got the 200-300 hours recommended (with the proper resting periods), right?
confused.gif

Thanks in advance.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by michael viscera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. I have some elemental questions regarding the portable V-cap dock for the imod, so bear with me
wink.gif

If I'm going to use the V-cap just with the imod (no amp involved), I'm gonna use the headphone output from the imod and not the one from the V-cap dock for regular listening?

Hey Michael
If you want to use your iMod by simply plugging your headphones into the headphone jack that is fine but your not getting any benefits of the mod part of your iMod. You would of course not need your Vcap dock at all if using just the headphone out. Quote:

Since the V-cap dock mini and RCA outputs are exclusively for use with an amp right?
confused_face(1).gif

I am asking this because I'm not experiencing neither the "muddiness" of the caps unburned that some people claim nor the "benefits" that some others do(yet). Actually, I haven't noticed any musical alteration (good or bad) at all since pluggin' the V-caps to the imod -with the proprietary cryo dock of course- so I'm wondering. So far, I'm keeping an open mind.
smile_phones.gif

First your going to want to use lossless files, WAV, FLAC, ALAC etc.. no MP3 anything. The differences between the Pvcap dock and just using a iMod cable are subtle but should be immediately noticeable. Quote:

As for burning the caps, I assume that I can use a regular cd/dvd player with the RCA audio outputs to the V-cap dock with a 1/8" adapter into the input and let them play 'till they got the 200-300 hours recommended (with the proper resting periods), right?
confused.gif

That is fine. My personal philosophy is to just use the gear as normal, enjoy the equipment and the stuff will burn in over time, I like to experience the changes that the equipment goes through and not get too concerned with the burn in period of this particular stuff, headphones can be a different story. Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Sure no problem. With the Vcap dock I have found that the cables make a pretty significant difference. In the beginning I use to sell the Pvcap dock with a 22awg cable and have stopped doing this just because it does not make sense to use this cable with this set up and now sell a Pvcap package that comes with a really really good Jumbo Cryo X silver ipod dock and same mini to mini. I want people to be happy with this device and it should work with a really good cable.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 5, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks Ken.

A couple of questions:

If using the V-cap dock/cryo combo with the imod, I have to use the line out of the v-cap, right? well, I did this but what I got is this full-blast volume with high frequencies (something like when you put a pair of earbuds in a normal stereo driven almost to the max volume), the volume in the imod becames "bypassed". So I'm assuming this output is to use only with an amp?
confused.gif

If that's the case, then only I will reap the sonic benefits of the V-cap dock/cryo combo with an amp.

But if not, then the full volume out of the output is not normal?
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks.

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by michael viscera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Ken.

A couple of questions:

If using the V-cap dock/cryo combo with the imod, I have to use the line out of the v-cap, right? well, I did this but what I got is this full-blast volume with high frequencies (something like when you put a pair of earbuds in a normal stereo driven almost to the max volume), the volume in the imod becames "bypassed". So I'm assuming this output is to use only with an amp?
confused.gif

If that's the case, then only I will reap the sonic benefits of the V-cap dock/cryo combo with an amp.

But if not, then the full volume out of the output is not normal?
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks.

The iMod and Vcap dock is meant to be used with an amp. You need to connect a amp to the Pvcap dock. iMod --> Pvcap dock ---> AMP ---> Headphones ---> you.

Any other way is not going to work.

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back