Some questions about the Grado RS-1...
Jan 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all IMHO, of course
wink.gif
. my quibbles with the rs-1 mainly deal with cosmetic stuff. i hate the cable...i hate all grado cables. i've re-cabled mine (or alex did) to be balanced and that's not a problem anymore. (ironically, i used the rs-1 cable to recable my k501) i hate the packaging it comes in. doesn't match the wonderful headphones that are inside the pizza box.

sometimes the build can be iffy. BUT, if you can get past these things, i think they sound fantastic. i'm in the camp that thinks they sound best with bowls (minority, of course). these and the hf-1 i prefer with bowls. i think the bass can get muddy with the flats, but it's a personal preference.

Thanks for the quick response. Didn't know the "bowlers" represented the minority. I'm with you, though. I'd surely be a bowl guy based on my Grado experience so far. Hope one day I get the chance.

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #17 of 28
rs1 are comfortable in the sense that they are really light and have no clamping force. however i don't like anything sitting directly on my ears so they irritate me after an hour or so, otherwise it's golden. it's weird that there are so many people who talk about headphone cables, i've never had any problem with all the sets i've tried except for sony sa5k as it would constantly tangle.

as for bowls and flats, i thought that bowls give a snappier presentation but the flats sounded more natural. i never experienced the muddy bass however (which i absolutely hate), i'm guessing it's a case of equipment mismatch.

i got rid of my set because i had built a speaker system that i absolutely loved, but have moved to a small apartment since then with noisy room mates so i had to get closed fones, however i'm really getting the itch for them back as it's by far my favorite sounding one and nothing else sounds right afterwords.

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #18 of 28
i've been looking at the RS-1 but i don't think they fit my tastes. how do they sound with dance, techno, trance, electronic music. as well as jazz, hip-hop and r&b?

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was always curious about the RS-1, but I never took the plunge because I was afraid they wouldn't be comfortable enough. And of course, they're expensive and I didn't have the nice, high-paying engineering job back then. I'm starting to feel as though I should spring for the RS-1 and see what all the fuss is about.

I never thought I'd spend that kind of money on a pair of headphones. But like you, was always curious. I went to my local meet a few months ago, heard both the RS1 and RS2, and decided that day that had to have one. I think a listen is worth a thousand words; I hope you have a chance to go to a meet.

Or why don't you join Zanth's free listen program of the Grado RS1 and GS1000?

(see sticky at top of page: Zanth's Headphone Loan Program(me)

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been looking at the RS-1 but i don't think they fit my tastes. how do they sound with dance, techno, trance, electronic music. as well as jazz, hip-hop and r&b?

I really like listening to "synth-pop" (Freezepop and The Postal Service) on my RS-1. The sound from electronic music (like dance, techno, trance) is really clear and fast, as opposed to the bubbly and boomy sound you might get from some other techno phones (like the D5000).

If you like boomy or "sub" bass, or primarily listen to R&B and rap, I can't recommend them. Jazz, rock and metal are certainly their specialty though.

Like I said, the RS-1s blew me out of the water. Listening to Miles Davis or Stevie Ray Vaughan is like being in a smokey jazz house.

For those of you that hate the cable, I love the "garden hose" and the vintage look of the RS-1s!
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #21 of 28
r&b and hip-hop are based around low freq sounds but i don't get why people tend to go for the boomy stuff over something that's more articulate and accurate such as the rs-1. most of my music is r&b and nothing else even comes close.

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #23 of 28
What about the fact some people prefer RS-2's over RS-1? And they're $200 less so the OP might be interested in that.

I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on difference of those two that heard both of them.

Jan 3, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the fact some people prefer RS-2's over RS-1?

Who?

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the fact some people prefer RS-2's over RS-1? And they're $200 less so the OP might be interested in that.

I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on difference of those two that heard both of them.

I really would dispute the fact that people prefer the RS-2. I have not seen such a statement anywhere, i would be interested to know your provenance.

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 28
I prefer RS-2 over RS-1 because they have more "bite" in rock music and so on. I also don't like the fuzzy mids in RS-1 which makes some details go away, that isn't the case in RS-2 or MS-Pro.

And yes, I also listened to Freezepop with RS-2, RS-1 and MS-Pro and it sounded good with all of them, but my D5000 let's me hear more details from music and I like the sound sig better than any Grado I have tried. Bass isn't boomy if you make markl-mods or/and have a good amp.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer RS-2 over RS-1 because they have more "bite" in rock music and so on. I also don't like the fuzzy mids in RS-1 which makes some details go away, that isn't the case in RS-2 or MS-Pro.

And yes, I also listened to Freezepop with RS-2, RS-1 and MS-Pro and it sounded good with all of them, but my D5000 let's me hear more details from music and I like the sound sig better than any Grado I have tried. Bass isn't boomy if you make markl-mods or/and have a good amp.

Ooh I'd like to try the D5000 someday with Freezepop. I bet it's way more bubbly.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back