Some questions about shure se530
Aug 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like me and a few people have said on here go buy em used with a warranty man. Save yourself the extra $100-200 and get them from someone reputable here. There's also the re0's which are a very good bang for the buck iem that's 50 percent off (99 dollars) right now that sound pretty nice.

im in canada so i wanna avoid buying from another country and i also want the new ones anyways since the cables are better apparently, the local place beside me is authorized and has them at $410+tax but im gonna try and haggle with them, one other question i forgot to ask is my music is all 320k mp3, would that make the difference between se110 and se530 a lot lower or anything? since i dont wanna shell out this much cash unless theres a huge difference in quality.

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #17 of 30
If you're concerned about shipping costs to canada then I'll tell you this. I work at a ups store and I sold my se530's to someone in canada via canada standard and the shipping was only around 20 bucks bro. The shipping isn't really too expensive so you don't need to really worry about that.

It seems like you are pretty hesitant to spend over $300 on some iem's and if that's the case then you probably shouldn't. What kinda sound do you want outta your iem's? What music do you listen to? The re0's are only $99 and they produce a really good balanced neutral sound (I've owned both the 530 and the re0 and I prefer the re0). Honestly when I had the 530's I wanted more high's in my music but it really depends on what sound signature you like and what music you listen to.

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #18 of 30
^ im just your average joe who listens to music while on the bus, im not sure what sound signature and all that stuff means, but im curious as hell as to what the se530 sound like, from reviews ive read they sound incredible and will blow your mind away, im listening to my shure se110 right now and they sound perfect to me, i really cant see how the music can sound any better thats why i want the se530 so bad, i wanna know what im missing out on so badly lol, all my music is 320k mp3 and i listen to jrock mostly, some linkin park, nickelback, avril lavigne, etc. would the se530 sound a lot better considering what i listen to? would the 320k mp3 make it pointless to upgrade? like i said my se110 sounds fine to me i really cant see how the music can be better, im just really curious to hear the damn things.

Edit: forgot to mention my mp3 is a sony walkman nwz 636

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 30
Haha your mindset is pretty much the same as mine when I first bought my se530's. I guess you really don't know until you try them right? Just buy them used and if you don't like them then sell them on here for like $5-10 less than you bought them for. Chalk it up as a listeners fee haha.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 30
If your really set on getting the 530's grab some phonak or sennheiser ear hooks. Place the wire in the ear hooks and put them over your ears. With that, only the ear hooks will be making contact with your skin and body oils and the cable won't be affected. It's a worthy investment if your not going to buy from an authorized dealer. I also recommend the RE0's. You can get them from head-direct (authorized dealer) for half price ($99) right now. They will really bring out the details in the music. The 530's have less detail but have a forward and aggressive midrange. They sound good with rock and metal. I used to own the 530's and just got the REO's.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 30
ok guys i think im gonna take the risk, on amazon the unauthorized dealer has it for $270 and its $291 after shipping, does anyone know if ill be charged any taxes on top of those or not or any customs charges? if $291 is the final cost then i might as well just do this since it would still be cheaper to just pay the repair fee if they do ever break on me, ill try my best to prevent it, if its a newer wire though it shouldnt be too big a problem, ill also check those ear hooks out just in case.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #22 of 30
Might be custom duties and taxes for ya since you're in a different country. Good luck with your 530's man, I know you'll enjoy them more than your other shures.

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 30
In my opinion, the SE530's may not be the best thing for the OP. Considering the music that they listen to, it's doubtful that a huge increase in quality would occur. This is coming from someone who made the exact same step: SE110's to SE530's.

On good recordings, the difference is huge. On standard recordings though, the bass is tighter and has more kick, the midrange is a little smoother, and the high end is slightly more revealing. Is that worth paying ~$400 for? Probably not.

A great thing about the SE530's is that they isolate better than the SE110's (or any other universal IEM for that matter), and that will cause you to turn your music down, probably saving your ears. However, I think a midrange IEM is probably a better choice.

I only paid $300 for my SE530's, from an authorized dealer, with free shipping. The dealer was in Canada so there were no duties. There was a special deal going on though, and a free shipping deal on top of that, so I got pretty lucky. If you are really, really set on the SE530's, I recommend being patient and waiting for similar opportunities. Keep in mind that you can always sell the SE110's to offset some of the cost.

Again, I really doubt that this purchase will be worth it to you. I made the exact same transition, and I use it in the exact same environment (2 hours on a bus going to and from school everyday), and I can honestly say that I'm not satisfied. If you truly want the best, get top end customs (I will be doing this). If you want a really great sound that's a lot better than your SE110's, I'd aim for the mid level IEM's in the $200 CDN range, like Phonak PFE's.

Just my two cents, but I couldn't help but comment based on the similarity of our situations.

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #25 of 30
Mind If I suggest another IEM?

Coming from the E2c to the se530, I wasn't overly impressed. In my head I was always wondering where the bass was on the E2c. Maybe the se530 has it. Maybe it'll sound so much better. I dunno if it's the shape of my ears or the cosmic alignment of the stars but after purchasing it I still had a hard time hearing or feeling the bass even with the white triple flange silicone tips. It was there, but not enough for me to enjoy the kind of music I enjoyed (NiN, Sarah Mclachlan, Linkin Park, Trance Mixes, and Bear McCreary's operatic OSTs for BSG come to mind). I even had issues with the higher frequencies. Ok, fine. Sounds like it's missing something. I kept on fiddling with it. Swaping out tips, trying to find the perfect alignment of sound quality, comfort and bass. Since I spent so much money on it, I kept using it. Even after the right driver cable flayed open and exposed wiring, I kept using it. And then another part of the cable on the right driver flayed open right at the junction of the driver connector. It finally died one day. Yay. Then I bought the IE8 after going thru the 1 billion pages of the IE8 appreciation thread. I am now in audio bliss. Any kind of music sounds fantastic out of it. It. The bass slam is there and you can control it. Not just with the knob on the drivers but by using another tip or by just not inserting it too deeply in the ear canal. Fantastic.

BTW, Rip N' Burn's idea about ear hooks sounds like a great idea considering the Shure's flaky se530 cables. Someone higher up at Sennheiser should give an award or give a billion bucks to the man in their material science lab for coming up with the plastic formula for their cable on the IE8. Not only does it not make any noise whatsoever, it's user replaceable and feels like it'll last even after the cockroaches rule the earth.

To be fair... The IE8 sucks at isolation. Period. The se530 isolates completely. Our house was burglarized one night and I didn't hear a bloody thing. Only found out the next morning. Main door wide open, missing audio equipment in the next room. Was kind enough to leave the speakers. Very nearly got away with the golf set. Must have been too heavy. Left it outside.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoonf144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, not sure about the US system, but here in aus, the distributor just asked for the date code on the input jack and told me to send it to them. Got a brand new one in 2 weeks, and i didnt even tell them where i bought it.

Same thing happened to me. Shure really took care of me well, I don't know about other customers, but I was fortunate.

Also, the wires have been fixed you have nothing to worry about!
atsmile.gif
That's not how mine broke though, unfortunately....

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #27 of 30
looks like im gonna buy these bad boys from the unauthorized guy, i emailed him if ill get charged customs and he said hes sent a few packages to canada and nobody has mentioned getting charged customs before since he labels them as gifts, so after all is said and done its costing me $320 CAD so i cant complain about the cost here even if i dont have warranty, unless i get really unlucky and customs dings me, once they do arrive ill check the manufacturing date and if theyre old ill just cover the wires up with something so it doesnt get into contact with my skin and i think i should be fine.

To Berlioz, thanks for the suggestion but im pretty much getting them for cheap, at $320 i might as well get these, i doubt ill end up disappointed with them, might not be completely satisfied but at $320 i aint gonna complain about anything considering how much im saving here, i mainly want shures for the isolation and comfortability since the bus is very noisy and my se110 are very comfortable, so i guess this topic is over, thanks for the help guys.

/thread

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #29 of 30
alright guys they just arrived, thank god i only got charged $15 for duty and customs, so all in all i paid $335 CAD which was awesome, the clarity of these phones is insane, you guys were right about the difference, i can make out every word the vocalists say and can hear stuff i never knew was there before in the music, my final question is the manufacturing date is 1469, am i safe for the wires or should i cover them up since i dont have the warranty?

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbgtboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my final question is the manufacturing date is 1469, am i safe for the wires or should i cover them up since i dont have the warranty?

Yes you are safe. They were made on the 146th day of 2009. They should have the new cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back