Some questions (about phones to buy)
Aug 9, 2006 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ap3rtis

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at phones to buy lately, willing to spend around $200 (CDN). The hd595 have been catching my eye, and wondering what ppl think of them?
I want a can thats good for movies, games, and music of course. I listen to all kinds of music (though mainly rock), so I want an all around can. Tried the grado's, I dunno, can't really get over the comfort thing, though I like the comfort of the hd595's.

Also, I know people have mentioned the a900 before, and I would likely go for those if I really want a closed phone, but open vs close isnt that big of an issue to me. Just want something that sounds good
biggrin.gif

Not really planning on buying an amp, (but maybe in the future) so I like the low impedance. (but incase, how does the PA2V2 sound with these?) sooo...
Does the HD595 sound like it would suit me? I tried the phones out in store, but unfortunately there was no bass in the right ear! So hopefully that isn't a problem in all HD595s
tongue.gif
But from what I could tell, they did sound cleaner than the HD555. The HD 595 just seem to be a good all around headphone, and they don't need an amp.

Has anyone ordered from here before?
http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/c...05149508719d82
I ask because they have the HD 595's for cheap and will ship to Canada for roughly $11, so at that price I could get the 595's for likely less than what I would pay here for the 555's.
-Also, would the warranty be valid in Canada? Like would I just ship the phones to Sennheiser Canada if I had problems with them? Anyone know?

Thanks for taking the time to read through this, comments and suggestions welcome!

Mike

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 10
The HD595 is a good & comfortable can as long as you stay strictly away from bass- & rhythm heavy music like Hiphop, D&B, Electronica, etc. It rather shines on the conventional side of things. IMO a bit overrated at this site.

Generally, I regard the A900 as the better fon. Better sound, better allaround performer, better soundstaging. Better value for "one can only" type of person.

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 10
ya I'm not all that big on bass lol. Thing is, even if I decided on the a900, where do you order AT phones if you live in Canada?

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 10
I bought a pair of hd595s a month or so ago, and I had some negative reactions to them at first.

First, they were too tight on my head. This resolved itself over time though---they are much more comfortable after many hours of wearing.

Second, they just didn't sound like I had imagined them based on reviews. I've always been a Sennheiser guy, but I liked the idea of getting a slightly more forward presentation. I could tell certain things that made them better than my previous headphones (hd570), like tighter bass, but for the most part I couldn't head that much difference. After 200 hours of burn-in, though, they sound much better, and in direct comparison now with the old headphones I can tell that they are far superior in many aspects.

I've also had this feeling as I've listened to them that I wasn't getting all they were capable of, at least not with the few cheap sources I've got available. So I took them to a store and plugged them into a cd player/receiver there, and WOW there was a difference. I know people say here all the time that you don't need an amp with them, but having that comparison makes me think that people who say as much may not have ever heard them with a good amp..? I don't know. Anyway, since I wasn't sure whether I needed a better source or a better amp I've decided to purchase a Headroom Bithead as a compromise for both. Should be coming in the mail in a few days, and I'll let you know how much of a difference it makes for me when I get it.

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
Thing is, even if I decided on the a900, where do you order AT phones if you live in Canada?

We have "equipped" ~20 A900s from bluetin.com in our small german forum in the last months, very reliable.

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 10
I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the amp with them Sammich.
And nick, not sure if I like the idea of shipping the phones to and from singapore if anything goes wrong (would be costly) lol.

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Couple of quick points:

If you ship from outside Canada and customs nabs them in transit, get ready to lose any savings you may have found and likely pay even more -taxes too.

Listen to the phones if possible - you may want to check out the meetings forum to see if there's one going on in your area. Not sure where you are in Ontario, but we had a Toronto meet in April which turned out really well, and there were a900 (LTD) present. As an editorial note, the a900LTDs are some of the most comfortable, but worst sounding headphones I've ever heard. Plus, the cable is so microphonic and the cans are so big, they make portable use (if you care about that) impossible. Of course, your mileage may vary.

The 595s are great all-arounders, but I think you really would be disappointed without an amp, or at least a powerful source to drive them like a dedicated receiver. If you're that interested in getting into the higher end without breaking the bank, I would really suggest looking into cheaper phones and a starter amp. The PA2v2 is an excellent, modest (and dirt cheap) amp that drives headphones of lower impedence really well. Best of all - built in Canada. No customs or taxes. Not even shipping!

I know you really weren't big on the amp idea though, so your best bet is to buy phones from a place that has a good return policy and try em out.

Please bear in mind, too that my opinion of the A900 above was based on the sound of the limited edition model and is from a very short audition. If you are not huge on bass, a quick listen will probably scare you off anyway.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Damn, is customs really that bad? I bought an mp3 player from the states and they only charged me taxes, so I was hoping it would be the same way.
I'm in Toronto for the summer actually working, but didn't see any upcoming meets. I checked out Bay Bloor Radio, because it seems to be the only place carrying high end stuff, but really expensive (595's were $350). Does that mean at customs it's possible they would charge me the extra $150 - 200 difference? That's really harsh lol.
Actually I realized, my dad has this old (Pioneer I think) receiver, which has a headphone jack... Does anyone know how well that might work as an amp? If not the PA2V2 does seem like a good choice (fairly cheap, and could likely pick it up in Toronto).
Thanks for the advice!

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Can anyone comment on how the HD555's would be, especially if I bought an amp (PA2V2) with them. Note that this would be my first set of good cans, and compared to my 100$ altec lansing speakers, I hope they would be an upgrade in every area (except likely bass lol)
tongue.gif

It's just if I order the 595 I may end up spending alot of unwanted money at customs, so I'm not to sure. The HD 555's are $200 at futureshop, and I will have a gift certificate for $115 (to replace the altec lansing speakers, they had a bad buzz to them). So it might be the best way to go... I dunno
What do most people here feel about the HD 555's?

Aug 10, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 10
I bought the HD555 for the same price at FutureShop too. Since then, I'm extremely addicted to this set of cans. Just get them, try them, then decide whether you want to keep them or not. Chances are you'll love them.
600smile.gif

and I use them unamped since I don't have any, yet
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back