Some questions about DACs...And yes, i read the forums but i'm confused...
Aug 3, 2006 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dead Ghost

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! English is not my native language, so forgive me if i may not sound clear enough for what i'm trying to say...
So here it goes:
I love music and listen only mp3@>256kps. Currently i have an audigy 2 value sound card, some Edifier S2.1D active speakers and a pair of Behringer HPX2000 headphones (~25usd value worth...go figure). Naturally, i want something better...So, i came to this great forum.
smily_headphones1.gif
First things first, i want to take care of the audio source, aka the sound card. I've read some threads here, and i understood that the best sounding option is an external DAC (like Zhaolu D2 and Lite DAC-Ah). My first question is:
1) Are the two dacs in question, better sounding than Audigy 2\EMU 0202 & 0404\M-Audio revolution 7.1 & Audiophile 2496? Second question is :
2) Can i use the SP\DIF out on the audigy 2, with the help of a RCA to 3.5mm cable? How good is the digital out on this sound card? I play games sometimes, and the EAX effects are quite handy, that's why i would prefer to stick with this sound card for the time being...

As i said, i listen to mp3s>>256kps. I prefer 50% electronica, 30% acoustical and vocal and 20% rock and others, mostly mixed stuff. I like the music to sound detailed, have good soundstage, with some bass but not muddy and clear highs, but not too harsh. In the near future i want to buy some good headphones (300-600usd price range) and an amp for them (200-500usd). But for the time being, i'm looking for a 250usd, maximum 300usd DAC.
From reading around here, the Zhaolu is highly praised, but also the DAC-Ah. And yes, i know there is another 'vs' thread, but please read ahead...I understand that you can upgrade these units, but i have 0 skills in electronics and no place to shop for components. So, modding by myself is a big no-no. The only option is to buy a pre-modded one. For the DAC-AH i've only found 2 places that sell the modded one;
3) Which modded DAC-AH is better: A)Pacific Valve or B) Diyclub version? .
For the Zhaolu i've only found the diykits.com.hk site.
Questions about Zhaolu:
4) Which DAC chip is better for my tastes: AD-1852 or CS-4398? What is "Upgrade CS-4398 DA-Board", isn't it the same with CS-4398?
confused.gif

5) Which upgrades from the Diykits\zhaolu page really worth the money, except the headphone upgrade (later for that..)? From that page i don't understand, is the "Main DA replace OPA-2604 at butter stage with DY-2000 Ceramic" included in the price of Blackgate upgrade? If not, how much it costs?
6) Is the Zhaolu a reliable dac? Does it breakes easily? If it burns or something, can it be easily repaired by a tehnician? I'm asking this because i've read posts about broken\burned Zhaolu dacs...
frown.gif
Is the modded version of Zhaolu a lot safer (ie doesn't breaks so easily) than the non-modded one?

And finally, the big question:
7) Which of the two dacs? In one instance, both modded as above, and another, both factory defaults... Any other dacs in this price range, that are better?
An the last question, about Zhaolu headphone amp:
8) With the headphone Amp upgrade, how good is it, compared to other headphone amps below 300-350usd? Can you give me some examples?

That's all and thank you very much for your time...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 19
1. I have an M-Audio Audiophile usb.... the Zhoalu's analogue out kills it.
2. yes, you can use the spdif converter on the soundcard...but it's better to get something that can support asio like an M-audio transit.
3. you can get a zhaolu on the diy kits already modded. or you could send it in to oritek audio (after you have saved up some more $) and he will give it some amazing modifications.
4. the dac boards feature the said dac, but the dac itself is only a small chip....these are whole pcb boards and modules. they are replacable and the jury is still out on whether the CS is really better than the AD.
5. the upgrades are fine... but, for the $ i'd rather send it to ori.
6. the burned dacs are the result of people trying to go into those things themselves without knowing what they are doing...one reason why i rarely mod things. At first there was some poping and cracking with the zhoalu.. i ten went on empirical audio's website, and they had a list of things to do to keep such problems from happening... it worked and i'm not having those problems anymore.
7. we don't know yet which one is better, the upcomming LA meet should settle all disputes (hopefully).
8. I didn't think the zhaolu's was that good, but definitely worth the $. since i wanted the ori mod, i had to go for an external amp since 1, it's the only way to benefit from the discrete output module, and 2, an extra transformer eliminated the extra space availible on the dac's interior. ..... but i really don't know that much about this amp....

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
3. you can get a zhaolu on the diy kits already modded. or you could send it in to oritek audio (after you have saved up some more $) and he will give it some amazing modifications.

I was referring to the modded versions of DAC-AH...
As far as Oritek mods, it' very hard for me, because i'm not from the US and the logistics are killing me...
frown.gif
Doesn't Oritek sells allready modded Zholus, so i don't have to buy first a standard zholus and then send it to oritek?

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 19
I can reply to a few of your questions but not all.

1. I had an Auidgy2 , the Zhaolu sounds much better. I can't speak for the other sound cards but an external DAC is almost always better.
2. Yes you can get the digital signal out of the Audigy2 however it will not be bit perfect as far as I know. A good option if you game is to upgrade to the X-FI music. It keeps the effects but also lets you run bit-perfect and has decent software.
4. The "Upgrade CS-4398 DA-Board" is a "drop-in" board with the CS-chip on it to upgrade from the AD 1852 if you if you buy that first then later want to change the unit to the CS chip.
5. The opamp should be included with all units free just make sure to ask for the Honk Kong promotional upgrade , if it is still available. So many mods and upgrades can be done it is hard to really say wich ones you will like. I think of the blackgate one as a must from that point it's all kinda subjective to me.
6. Well , I do own one and love the sound. It is a faily well built DAC. It is inexpensive and mass produced so do realize quality of fit and finish are not the best. Also some have had bad units but their is always risk.

Good luck.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
Thx!

Hmm, is there a third dac chip option for the Zhaolu, the BB1794? Whn it will be avaible at Diykits? It's better the the other two (CS4398 and AD1852)?

Yes , it is a new DAC chip. Many have been waiting , I don't think it will be available for at least a few months (at least) from what Eddie said.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Couldnt you buy it and have it shipped directly to oritek?

Im guessing the shipping would be a killer for him , first HK then Europe.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 19
What I mean is when he buys the Zhaolu (if he does), can't he just put in oritek as the shipping address so it goes directly there without him having pay for shipping to himself, and then to oritek.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 19
Yes, shipping costs are the biggest issue here...
frown.gif
If oritek is in the US, than i have to send the dac from HK to oritek, and then, from oritek to europe => big shipping costs.

But i've looked on Oritek site and found this page. It says:
[size=xx-small]We offer a comprehensive mod, which includes a discrete output stage (for the DAC section), better connectors and power supply clean-up, installed and tested for $225 (plus shipping). [/size]So, for what i understand, they sell full modded units also? Or the 225$ is the price to pay just for the modifications done, so the final full modded dac will cost 150usd+225usd?
blink.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost
Yes, shipping costs are the biggest issue here...
frown.gif
If oritek is in the US, than i have to send the dac from HK to oritek, and then, from oritek to europe => big shipping costs.

But i've looked on Oritek site and found this page. It says:
[size=xx-small]We offer a comprehensive mod, which includes a discrete output stage (for the DAC section), better connectors and power supply clean-up, installed and tested for $225 (plus shipping). [/size]So, for what i understand, they sell full modded units also? Or the 225$ is the price to pay just for the modifications done, so the full modded dac will cost in the end 150usd+225usd?
blink.gif

The $225 is cost for only the mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 19
This is the wrong place to ask if it is worth the money
biggrin.gif
Most of us have gaping holes in our wallets
eek.gif
If you want a very good DAC and some mods made to it already here is the simple reply IMHO. Zhaolu D2 CS chip blackgate mod and ask for the HK promo mod also tell Eddie to take out the DC blocking caps or bypass them. If your not useing a good amp get the one from his site the upgraded. If budget is not a concern get the ORI version , I have not heard it but from his wonderfull manner and advice on these forums and the feedback of his customers Im thinking of having him do some work (sans built in amp , using a headfive).

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 19
Yes, i think Eddie's Zaholu mod will be best for me, in this price-range.
But some questions still remain:
--Lite DAC-AH modded (btw, which mod of the two) VS Zaholu Eddie's mod?
--How good is the upgraded amp on the Zaholu? To which other headphone amp is equal in terms of sound quality? If it so-so, i could spare the money and later get a good heaphone amp.
And 2 new questions:
--How hot do these things get, in normal use? Zaholu and Lite Dac-AH. I've read in one review that the Lite Dac-AH gets "extremely warm".
eek.gif

--If i buy now the AD1852 chip, can i easily upgrade later with the CS4398 or BB1794?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back