Some questions about bitperfect audio with Foobar2000
Sep 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BassImpact

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I just started using foobar2000 and did some research about bit perfect audio but i still have some questions :

1) Is there any difference between ASIO, WASAPI or Kernel Streaming in use? They are all bitperfect if the volume is at the maximum value, no DSP is used, and the right sample rate and bit resolution is used wright ?
2) Then why do some prefer Kernel Streaming ?
3) No audio output from other programs can be send to the selected soundcard in foobar when foobar is playing. Can you tell me if this statement is wright or wrong ? (This is what happened with me, i suppose this is because otherwise the audio wouldn't be bitperfect anymore)

EDIT :
4) If i wouldn't use any of these special drivers but no other program is generating sound output, isn't output than also bitperfect ?

Could you please help me clear this questions up ?
Thanks in advance.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I just started using foobar2000 and did some research about bit perfect audio but i still have some questions :

1) Is there any difference between ASIO, WASAPI or Kernel Streaming in use? They are all bitperfect if the volume is at the maximum value, no DSP is used, and the right sample rate and bit resolution is used wright ?
2) Then why do some prefer Kernel Streaming ?
3) No audio output from other programs can be send to the selected soundcard in foobar when foobar is playing. Can you tell me if this statement is wright or wrong ? (This is what happened with me, i suppose this is because otherwise the audio wouldn't be bitperfect anymore)

EDIT :
4) If i wouldn't use any of these special drivers but no other program is generating sound output, isn't output than also bitperfect ?

Could you please help me clear this questions up ?
Thanks in advance.

1) ASIO is a communication protocol between audio hardware and software. It is platform independent - i.e. could be used in Windows or Linux for example, if the audio device supports it. You can think of it as an alternative to the Windows sound device drivers.
WASAPI is a Windows specific interface that serves similar purpose. From the WIndows perspective it's the closest way to talking directly to the hardware driver.
I haven't really explored KS, so I'll leave this one out.

2) I'd like to know that too

3) Correct: if you allow input from other devices, then signal mixing must happen. This is precisely what we're trying to bypass with ASIO or WASAPI.

4) Setting volume in Windows to 100% gets you close to that, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back