some pics, some impressions.. enjoy!
May 7, 2006 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
my ms2i are still in the process of burning in. right about now they should be clocking in around 30-40 hours (i havent kept them playing whilst i'm out of the house). out of the box the ms2i sounded pretty good already, though there was a hint of 'muddiness' in the mids. detail was lacking slightly and i felt as though there wasnt a clear separation between the midrange and highs. highs were a bit grainy, and occasionaly shrill on particular songs. i could feel my tinnitus creeping up in my left ear..

around 10-20 hours, the highs became more controlled and tolerable. i could increase the volume a bit more without having to worry about harshness. though i was a bit surprised to hear the bass slightly diminishing as compared to before. the bass impact i so loved with my previous 325i had reduced around this 10-20 hours mark. kept on telling myself it would eventually come back..

and boy, did it come back with a vengeance
evil_smiley.gif
around the 20-30 hour mark, i felt as though there was more slam with these cans than with the 325i. and its not just mindless banging, each note has a nice texture to it. i had a big grin on my face whilst listening to Metallica the Black Album, and Korn's See you on the Other side. at the other end of the spectrum, the highs seem to have taken one step back.. im not sure how to describe this.. its like there is a slight veil, or a death grip on the highs that prevents them from sibilance/harshness. i'd say at this 20-30 hours mark, the ms2i is a bit less agressive than the 325i.

currently 30-40 hours into the process.. things seem to be improving, albeit slowly. the highs are beginning to get back to their old ways, and i like it
biggrin.gif
i've always liked brighter sounding cans (dunno why, maybe i'm of the mentality bright is detailed
etysmile.gif
).

i really cant wait to have these cans fully burned in. in my opinion they are overall better sounding than my 325i.

here are the pics a promised.. not all of them are of the MS2i though.

camera whore!
IMG_0396.jpg

big bro and little bro..
IMG_0398.jpg

bestskinever!
e8e55ff2.jpg

portable setup.. did a small mod to the pocketdock. dismantled it, whipped out some Tamiya spray paint (semi-gloss black). sprayed on 2 coats and am pleased. at least it keeps the all black theme going.
IMG_0386.jpg

my mum made me a pouch for my setup. i'm born in the year of the Dog
IMG_0363.jpg

a nice snug fit!
IMG_0389.jpg

lol a nice change from my previous setup...
IMG_03904.jpg

May 7, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 26
Great pix! MS2i is a great can for sure. Enjoy the sound.

May 7, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 26
Nice set up.

I love my BSE as well. Really good and cheap product.

May 7, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 26
Someone explain me why using nano with amp with IEMs??
What sense of using amp with portable setup, which supposed to be mini and battery-friendly, other than if you want to get more volume-level?? But you don't need this with IEMs
To me, it's all HYPE, because portable setups ultimately are not meant to produce good SQ, you don't even using good portable CD-player. Correct me if i'm wrong, nano doesn't even have line-out, so you connected the amp to phones out, don't you...
Nonsense

May 7, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka
Correct me if i'm wrong, nano doesn't even have line-out, so you connected the amp to phones out, don't you...
Nonsense

OP has a modded iPod, so he actually does use the line-out.

May 7, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 26
Great photos, excellent gear!

I like the way your PocketDock looks. I colored mine with a black Sharpie and it doesn't look that good.

I also like the pouch your mom made. Just be careful not to scratch the Hornet or the back of your iPod. Keeping a cloth or some other divider between them is advisable.

May 7, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

That's not a nano. Take another look.

Quote:

What sense of using amp with portable setup, which supposed to be mini and battery-friendly, other than if you want to get more volume-level??

Even from a suboptimal line-out, having an amp can improve the sound quality noticeably since a well amped output is able to drive the load with less distortion. You can read more about it in one of Tangent's pages dealing with this issue. It's not all about volume.

Quote:

To me, it's all HYPE

To others, it's not all HYPE.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

nano doesn't even have line-out

iPods do have line-outs, through the dock connector which Roasty is using (the little black box connected below his video iPod). Not aware how good the line-out is, but it is a line-out.

May 7, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka
What sense of using amp with portable setup, which supposed to be mini and battery-friendly, other than if you want to get more volume-level?? But you don't need this with IEMs
To me, it's all HYPE, because portable setups ultimately are not meant to produce good SQ, you don't even using good portable CD-player. Correct me if i'm wrong, nano doesn't even have line-out, so you connected the amp to phones out, don't you...
Nonsense

Well you do need the amp if he was using the MS-2is...duh...and the ER-4s (dunno if they're p or s) sound better with an amp then ampless. And if you're saying that portable setups aren't mean to produce SQ you need a wake-up call. FLAC out of an ipod to the high quality amp is just as good as if it was a good PCDP source. Get your facts straight please.

May 7, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

That's not a nano. Take another look.

Yes, my bad, but in this case that don't make sense
Quote:

Get your facts straight please.

According to OBJECTIVE MEASUREMENTS(or u gonna argue it?), ipod's SQ is not very GOOD, but if you wanna talk SUBJECTIVE, it's ok, you can get YOUR sufficient sq.

I do not refuse to believe that amp improves sound anyway, but is it worth it?? Why don't use normal redbook CD player??? If u really care about SQ and wanna maximize it any possible way..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back