Some People Are Destined To Sing
Feb 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #33 of 71

Quote:
WOW! Thank you for sharing. I've never heard of Dobet Gnahore' before. Do you know what the name of that instrument is? Any more details about it would be greatly appreciated. Please keep sharing more music. This thread might just become one of the best repositories of West African music ever published. Wouldn't that be something.

m-

Spotify related artist.

​

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #35 of 71
Thank you, Mike for one of the very best items I have seen on Head Fi for a long time! I'm left almost speechless. Wilile took me to a place I haven't been for a while, utterly exquisite music from an equally exquisite woman, I would bow before her if I could (and I don't mean in any way to reduce the wonderful musicians playing with her). I too adore much of the music from a huge range of musicians from Mali, there really is something about that place that births the most glorious energy through it's musical heart and soul.
I first came across Rokia Traore and Oumou Sangare through the fabulous "WHAT ABOUT ME" DVD film by the team from 1 Giant Leap - many of the other musicians featured I have seen live more than once at WOMAD in Adelaide, South Australia, known here as WOMADELAIDE.
 Fatou's music is now added to my list of must buys as soon as possible. Bless your little cotton socks, Mike, for introducing me to her
regular_smile%20.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #36 of 71

Quote:
Thank you, Mike for one of the very best items I have seen on Head Fi for a long time!

Thank you sennsay and thanks to everyone on this thread that keeps posting and sharing great African music. We're creating a treasure trove. I'm listening to Tinariwen right now based on rehabitat's suggestion. Just awesome! I've been listening to everything that 2dyclectic keeps sharing. I can't get over Dobet Gnahore' and that water udu. And all the other wonderful shares! What great music all around us.

I'll try to watch "What about me" as soon as possible but right now, I've got "I'll Sing For You" about Boubacar "KarKar" Traore on my Netflix queue. If only I had more time......

Thanks again,

Mike

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #38 of 71
My God, Currawong, that is insanely and gloriously beautiful! What a shining light she is in this world. If I didn't have a sprained ankle right now, I'd be playing this on my main system and dancing around the lounge! The passion and spirit that flows so effortlessly from her (let alone the other musicians!) ought to be played on national TV and radio world wide to cheer up the place
biggrin.gif

AWESOME!

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #39 of 71
Oops, I forgot to add that I meant my praise for the Kele YouTube clip :)

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #40 of 71

Quote:
This is beautiful, can anyone refer me to more music just like this? 
L3000.gif

This reminds me of Peter Gabriel's "Real World" label albums... much the same exposure to little-known artists - global mind-expansion!  Fabulous, as are the rest of the links you provided.  Going to go over to UE and search their threads for you, MD!  Right after I listen to PG's Passion :wink:

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #42 of 71

Quote:
This reminds me of Peter Gabriel's "Real World" label albums... much the same exposure to little-known artists - global mind-expansion!  Fabulous, as are the rest of the links you provided.  Going to go over to UE and search their threads for you, MD!  Right after I listen to PG's Passion :wink:

Youssou N'Dour from Senegal is one of the most famous W.A artist.
N'Dour  collaborate with Paul Simon ,Sting ,Tracy Chapman ,Springsteen ,Dido
Peter Gabriel and many others.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #44 of 71
I'm writing this quick note to offer a big "THANK YOU!" to Mike for letting me/us know about Fatou.  I got her CD yesterday (ordered from Amazon.com) and listened to it twice.  Her voice is spellbinding - and the recording is excellent.  Makes me wish I could comprehend her language directly, since the English translations offered in the CD's booklet are (understandably) stilted and awkward.

I'll be sharing this music with family and lots of friends.  Again, Mike:  "THANK YOU!"  It's wonderful that you took the time to share your knowledge and impressions - and that you did so in a way that matched the compelling nature of the artist's work.  

Gratefully,
Kevin

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #45 of 71
There is a Rokia Traore set up on dimeadozen.org at the moment.  The sample sounds gorgeous so I'm grabbing this one.
http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/301924/3967286/RTraore.mp3

Guys, let me know if you get the sample or not.  I'm not sure if these links are accessible to non-members of dime.

I was thinking earlier that one reason I find foreign language music so charming is the mystery that comes from my ignorance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back