Some People Are Destined To Sing
Jan 30, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #16 of 71
Mali and Ivory coast have many great musicians.
Dobet Gnahore' and Fatou are my favourites.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #17 of 71

Quote:

Dobet Gnahore' and Fatou are my favourites.

​

WOW! Thank you for sharing. I've never heard of Dobet Gnahore' before. Do you know what the name of that instrument is? Any more details about it would be greatly appreciated. Please keep sharing more music. This thread might just become one of the best repositories of West African music ever published. Wouldn't that be something.

m-

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #20 of 71
Much gratitude for this thread Mike Dias.
Everyone, who hear's such music cannot help but be touched in some way.
Personally I have for a long time been entranced by African, especially the Ivory Coast, rhythms.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 71
I wasn't able to get the same exact album because the Canadian iTunes store doesn't carry it (yet), but I'm enjoying this artist immensely now. Looking forward to the live.

Quote:
Hi Shigzeo - the whole album is amazing. As far as I know, it's been released in the UK but not in the states yet. Is it available in Japan?

I'm so glad you liked this. I think it is just amazing.

Mike

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #22 of 71

Quote:
Awesome! Here's another I found which I really like:

This video is out of this world! What a groove. What dancing! I wish I could play the drums like that. If I could do it all over again, I'd come back as a percussion player. Thank you so much for posting this. Unreal!

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #23 of 71

Quote:
Hi kskwerl -

I think that the closest artist to this is Rokia Traore. She is also a singer/ guitarist. Her album Bowmboi has a similar feel. And while there have been a lot of comparisons between Fatou and Oumou Sangaré, I personally think that Fatou has a more approachable sound and flavor. If you want more info on music from Mali and other parts of Africa, just let me know. I can go on and on about this for days.

Mike

Mike, that would fantastic if you could give me some more suggestion of music from Mali and other parts of Africa that sound similar. This is gonna great for summertime :D

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #24 of 71
Singer at heart performer in appearance

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #29 of 71

Quote:

Mike, that would fantastic if you could give me some more suggestion of music from Mali and other parts of Africa that sound similar. This is gonna great for summertime :D

Hi kskwerl - sorry for the delay in getting back to you. (I was wrapping up the finishing touches on the next music post featuring a new 24-bit digitally remastered set of essential Isaac Hayes albums....)

We've been getting great suggestions from all the community members on this thread so far and I urge everyone to share even more of their West African favorites here. In the meantime, here are a few more of my personal favorites.

1) If you haven't already seen Bela Fleck's documentary "Throw Down Your Heart," go a rent it NOW. It is amazing. And a great place to start getting lost in polyrhythms.
2) I put together a RDIO playlist for UE awhile back called "FROM TIMBUKTU TO YOU" I'm still a fan of RDIO and I like this collection of music. It features Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté, Amadou & Mariam, Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba,Issa Bagayogo, and a few others. For me, this is a great summer primer. My little girl has been growing up with this music and she loves it all!
3) Spend some real TIME on the Kanaga Systems Krush website. This is an independent record label featuring music from Mali. They are great people doing great things. This is a collectors dream site.
4) Lastly, This Is Africa is a great site for new music as well. I subscribe to their RSS feed and I'm always happy with what I get.

Hope that helps. Let me know what you find. And let's keep growing this thread to be the best collection of West African music throughout the Head-fi community!

Special thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back