Some OVERRATED High End Gear.
Sep 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #227 of 330
I haven't kept up with Doctor Who since Colin (not Tom) Baker. That was twenty-five years ago. I have no idea how Doctor Who is like today.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #228 of 330
Awesome

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #229 of 330
Nov 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #231 of 330
My 1996 Chevy Tahoe with 260 horse 350 V8 runs great, even with 399,000 miles on it. It's Kenwood HD Radio sounds great too. The stock radio gave up the ghost earlier this year, giving me justification for the new one. It only cost about $160.00; and; from it, I can listen to AM-FM, CD's, and USB devices. I should replace the stock speakers with something more compelling but I'm just too frugal. At any rate, I don't know of any gear that's overrated, but, plenty that's underrated, virtually everything in my signature, except JBL L100t3's, and Sony TA-E9000ES. These, it appears, have loyal followers, giving them high marks. I guess the other stuff has been under the radar from the audio community's elite reviewers; but, not by-passed by me, I'm happy with all of it. The home theatre experience for me has never sounded better.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #232 of 330
So, I take it that this thread has absolutely nothing to do with headphones nor anything remotely audiophile?

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #233 of 330
Lcd-2.
Especially the rev.1, which is the one I owned. I can understand that some people may prefer it to other headphones, for their peculiar sound. But I believe they are overrated as being considered "neutral" which they are not.

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #235 of 330
On the previous comment of Currawong on the K01 I will have to respectfully disagree. I have compared totl DACs using 192 24 tracks and K01 as a DAC not using the player itself, and the K01 bests most of them, including the Berkeley. When used withthe CD player, none of the current DACs are even close even though the Esoteric is just playing red book 44.1 and the DAC is playing 192. Don't even need to up convert the CD to tell the significant difference. Not to mention that most totl players of other brands use Esoteric OEMs. 

I think the most overrated gear on head fi is the LCD2.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #236 of 330
Just because something is discussed a lot on Head-Fi doesn't mean it's good in quality, it only means that it has a lot of supporters. Also, I don't think I've ever seen any owners of Chinese gear actually compare said gear to an equivalent American or European brand, so the price-performance ratio is actually mostly or completely unknown. Chinese gear owners also have typically never owned anything better and most of them never bother upgrading either, so their assessments of price-performance ratios are actually completely uneducated guesses.

I'll admit to buying a Little Dot amp when I first started out on Head-Fi (it was the Little Dot Micro+, back in 2006) but since then I've never bought a Chinese amp. No offense to the Chinese but I'd just rather buy audio gear that's either Japanese, American, or European.

IMO, most of the reason that Chinese gear attracts the followers that it does is because it's inexpensive. A lot of people on Head-Fi look to buy everything as cheaply as possible - not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying that's how it is. And when they see the inexpensive Chinese gear, they tend to ask "why buy anything more expensive?" and well, there you go. Then one or a few people start forming the opinion that the Chinese gear sounds good (which it probably does, it is after all hard to make something that sounds truly atrocious nowadays). When enough people start joining into that opinion, the aggreggate opinion starts forming that the Chinese gear has a good price-performance ratio, when in actuality, no one in the aggregate group has any idea of what that ratio is.

In other words, what I'm trying to say is that just because there might be an aggregate opinion that there's something that sounds good is probably good, doesn't make it good. The cliche expression "if it sounds good, it is good" is inherently flawed - it depends on who thinks the sound is good. If the listener is someone who bought their first-ever amp for their first-ever >$200 headphones on their first-ever external DAC, are you really going to trust that opinion? Or would you trust the opinion of someone who's heard at least a few amps and headphones?

I call it group thinking, when lots of people have one opinion sometimes people are afraid to have their own opinion let alone voice it.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #237 of 330

Quote:
I call it group thinking, when lots of people have one opinion sometimes people are afraid to have their own opinion let alone voice it.

Yup, there is also the case in which people are trying to rationalize their own behavior, like buying a $5k DAC.  To admit that there is an Asia-sourced unit that is as good, or nearly as good, at a tenth the price would be tantamount to admitting you're stupid.  Not too many folks willing to go there.  And there was, once, a truly objective double blind test, using expert listeners, to compare hardware store zip cord to $1k cables.  Stereo Review did it like 25 years ago.  Result:  The king has no clothes- No one could tell the difference.  Secondary result:  Advertising pages and readership drop for the magazine. No wonder it hasn't been repeated since!

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #238 of 330
237 posts ? So 237 of you were that bored out of your skulls ? I'm betting a large amount of the postings were made because of the asking price of the product that was being posted about & not it's actual value . Value is a subjective quality. Subjective means your personal feelings. Ok, I think threads like this are overrated(wait , that would be saying I think threads on subjects like this had some value, so forget what I've said.) 

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #239 of 330

Quote:
237 posts ? So 237 of you were that bored out of your skulls ? I'm betting a large amount of the postings were made because of the asking price of the product that was being posted about & not it's actual value . Value is a subjective quality. Subjective means your personal feelings. Ok, I think threads like this are overrated(wait , that would be saying I think threads on subjects like this had some value, so forget what I've said.) 

Actually there has been quite a bit of debate which includes points, counterpoints, and responses so there are actually fewer than 237 people participating in this thread.  Until now I was simply reading it.  I don't have the experience to contribute anything here. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #240 of 330

Quote:
So, I take it that this thread has absolutely nothing to do with headphones nor anything remotely audiophile?

So I'll bring this back on topic.   Have you guy's seen/heard the price of many of the High End Mini Monitors?????   The new Magico " Q1s (25 grand+) or the Joseph Audio Pulsar (7 grand)  I've heard the Magico's and yea they're outstanding ..........But Come On Man!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back