Some OVERRATED High End Gear.
Jun 15, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #316 of 330
  So basically, expensive = overrated?  Anything in the high end you don't think it is?

When they release an expensive headphone I prefer to the HD600 I'll get back to you. A modded HD800 is the closest so far. Maybe the 007/009 might be worth it but I can't say.

It's not the price it's the fact that at the price you can't have glaring faults that many less expensive headphones don't have.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #317 of 330

When they release an expensive headphone I prefer to the HD600 I'll get back to you. A modded HD800 is the closest so far. Maybe the 007/009 might be worth it but I can't say.

It's not the price it's the fact that at the price you can't have glaring faults that many less expensive headphones don't have.

Hi, it's hard to be absolute when judging a headphone's character as they are dependent on amps.  If you start running into amps that pushes the quality of the output, you notice that you can't be so absolute.  Some phones, yes.

Headphones can have an ability to place nice with many amps or not.  I don't like expensive headphone that cannot play nice with good specs as I don't want to buy various amps to find the right one.  

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #319 of 330
Seems like 3 people in the past page and a half mentioned the T1
I absolutely hated it and pretty much every beyer

Well..i dont hate all beyers...i absolutely love my mmx300.. (I have it since it came out many many many years ago and never sold it!!!) I use it for FPS gaming and movie watching on my pc.PERFECT for that....to my ears i preferred it over the he500 (modded) i also had..(and now my code-x headphone)..and its built like a tank...no fear that it will break by accidententely falling on the floor(which happened a couple of times now).. Cant imagine the hifiman headphone falling on the hard wooden floor..it will fall apart in a million pieces!!!

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #320 of 330
Seems like 3 people in the past page and a half mentioned the T1
I absolutely hated it and pretty much every beyer

Well..i dont hate all beyers...i absolutely love my mmx300.. (I have it since it came out many many many years ago and never sold it!!!) I use it for FPS gaming and movie watching on my pc.PERFECT for that....to my ears i preferred it over the he500 (modded) i also had..(and now my code-x headphone)..and its built like a tank...no fear that it will break by accidententely falling on the floor(which happened a couple of times now).. Cant imagine the hifiman headphone falling on the hard wooden floor..it will fall apart in a million pieces!!!

I just always felt they sounded very electronic/unnatural in tone

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #321 of 330

That's awesome.

LCD-2/3/X are all pretty hot sisters you could say.

LCD-3 is the older, wiser, more sophisticated one.

LCD-2 is the youngest and brashest, but not yet so clever.

LCD-X is the middle child. Knows how to let her hair down but not clueless.

But HE-6 is the mysterious naughty girl up the street you really want to get to know.
biggrin.gif

I fell for the nerdy and intellectual HD800 though, we stay up all night dissecting the meaning of lyrics and other stuff.
wink.gif

10/10 

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #322 of 330
I just always felt they sounded very electronic/unnatural in tone

U think? Yep, they are a bit bright compared to the he500...but they are much cheaper too! For gaming and movies i love the more fiery treble..as that helps to pinpoint ur enemies:) and the bass with movies it good also..yes i agree..for music its not ur best choice.. But hey..beyer never intended this phone to be audiophile..its a gaming/movie headphone and tuned for that..and as i said..i will never sell my mmx300, eventhough i now have a higher end code-x... :D

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #323 of 330
Anything by Grado ( tried, SR80, RS1, GS1000)
SQ is not so good, build quality also not very good...
when i used the HD800 it was like hearing music for the *first* time in my life, it was mind blowing, so yes, the HD800 are not overrated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #324 of 330
This is fun, but as noted, it may end badly.

What seemed overrated to my ears was the Kef LS-50. Maybe it's because I tried to use them nearfield, I don't know. To me they were too much hi fi and not enough music.

Detail is overrated, at least if it comes at the expense of musicality and sweetness. That causes me to hold that most moving-coil phono cartridges are overrated, and probably the Senn 800 as well.

Audiophile recordings are overrated. What's the point of a great recording of silly-bad music?  Diana Krall is overrated. Listen to Doris Day, Shirley Horn, Carmen McRae, Dinah Washington, or Ella Fitzgerald and tell me she isn't.

$1000+ power cords are overrated. Hell, $100+ power cords are overrated. Adjust your headphones, and you'll hear more differences.

Overrated in a generic way is "purity of the signal path." Is is really better to have your ears bleed than to have an equalizer?

DSD is overrated. To do digital editing, equalization, or volume control, you need to convert to PCM. Why not put the work into better PCM, rather than saddle everyone with this incompatible format?

Vinyl is overrated. If you want something to kill time, fine. But I have better things to do than clean records, unwarp them, align styli, and so on. If you want vinyl sound, just get a tone control, a compressor, and a flutter generator, and process your hi-rez digital sound.

UPnP/DLNA Streaming is overrated (though it shows a lot of promise). You can run into tremendous hassles getting gear to work together as it should.

The LS3/5a is overrated.

Kickstarter is overrated. How to raise too much money for dubious products.

If there's anyone I haven't offended, please let me know, and I'll list more.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #325 of 330
"Kickstarter is overrated. How to raise too much money for dubious products."

Agreed. Especially all of the dreamers wanting $1 million for their video-game idea. Because that is all they have. No source code. No screenshots. Nothing tangible.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #326 of 330

That's awesome.

LCD-2/3/X are all pretty hot sisters you could say.

LCD-3 is the older, wiser, more sophisticated one.

LCD-2 is the youngest and brashest, but not yet so clever.

LCD-X is the middle child. Knows how to let her hair down but not clueless.

But HE-6 is the mysterious naughty girl up the street you really want to get to know.
biggrin.gif

I fell for the nerdy and intellectual HD800 though, we stay up all night dissecting the meaning of lyrics and other stuff.
wink.gif

Oh lord, this is the post of the day for me, nothing can top this.  LOL.  
I hate analogies, but I like this one.

10/10 

I just saw  TwoEars' orig. post in the quotes above.
ROFL
biggrin.gif
great sense of humor. 
Characterization of head phones by use of analogy to which most of the target audience can relate to. Love it
beerchug.gif
And yeah, I also went for the intellectual
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #327 of 330
Some overrated gear -

1) Chord Hugo - No matter how awesome it sounds, be it the best DAC in the world - it's just ugly!
2) Mayflower O2+ODAC products - After all, our beloved NwAvGuy person is the one claiming that an onboard DAC is no worse than a dedicated card, right?! right?! XD

There's probably more, but for now I'll settle with this.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #329 of 330
  The OP was referring to performance and also performance > price ratio, rather than style. As guided the OP's definition, your opinion of the Hugo accordingly renders your nomination of the Hugo as invalid.

I wouldn't pay for a product that disgusts me, performance also includes the physical design. Also second entry is also relevant to first, if so, and everything else.

Of course, it's in my own humble opinion.

We're getting into "Diminishing returns" early anyway, and one of the returns that's important for people is design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back