Some opinions on a budget PC based stereo
Mar 30, 2012 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SMed

New Head-Fier
I'm sure lots of this stuff has been covered before, so apologies for the repetition. Just for some relevant back ground information I often see asked:

Music - pretty varied tbh. Might be easier to say what won't be played: won't be listening to classical, jazz, very bass heavy stuff (for the most part). I will be listening mostly to metal and rock with some blues too. My wife will also be listening to top 40 hits kinda of stuff too sometimes.

Room - in my study. It's a good sized small-medium room, but I don't listen at massive volume all the time. Speakers will be on my desk, with some flexibility. They will be fairly close to the wall. I reckon I could get them about 5-7"s away from the wall maximum, depending on the size of the enclosure. The speakers will be at ear level.

Budget - south of £200, preferably closer to £150. This is just for amp, speakers and cables for now. I'll throw in a cheap DAC at some point in the near future. The Behringer UCA202seems like a decent choice for £20. I have absolutely no problems buying secondhand, and would actually prefer it tbh.

So I'm looking for bookshelf speakers/monitors (either active or passive+amptastic t-amp) for my study. The options are doing my head in! I've heard such good things about the amptastic MiniT amp from ebay, that I really want to give it a try. I'm unsure what speakers to get though. If I get the T-amp, that leaves about £100 for speakers, which I know is not a lot. I hear a lot of good things about the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. For the money, are these probably some of the best speakers to get? 

1) Wharfedale Diamond 9.1/10.1
2) Monitor Audio BR1s
3) Eltax Monitor III
4) Some Tannoys - which ones?

After that, I've looked at so many other passive speakers, they've all blended together and I can't remember any stand-out models. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. I can get find some Wharfedale Diamond 7.1s for £15, might be worth a shot?

OR... would I be better off going the active route? I've seen a few sets of active speakers/monitors that are also highly rated. A few of the ones I've highlighted:

1) Fostex PM0.4 Active Studio Monitors
2) Studiospares Seiwin Powered Monitors
3) Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Pro Active Studio Monitors (2nd hand)

Which would be better for me? Sorry for the long post. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back