Some of the classical music albums that made an impression to me
Jul 2, 2003 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Luvya

100+ Head-Fier
I can't speak of them all...and I might be bias to the albums I choose to speak of, but here it goes...you can add the albums that u r fond of, I will be very interested in hearing ur choices.

1. Grieg Piano concerto/ Michaelangeli
The live version on BBC legendary label (I think) is just INCREDIBLE!! The recording is so bad that I normally wouldn't even think of buying it but the playing is so powerful!!! It's impossible to ignore! If it doesn't get ur blood pump up, you are more than likely a dead man. Oh..and the Ravel after the concerto is just equally awesome! Try track 8, god...unbelievable clarity on the high notes at the end of the track!! It will appeal even to people who don't play piano.

2. Ravel Piano concerto/ Michaelangeli
The 2nd movement, yeah...I know a lot of people talk about it already (just look at Amazon.com) but the playing is just unearthly. The tone totally change from 1st and 3rd movement, it's like Michaelangeli turn his mood 360 degree..from delightful to utter soberness. Words fail me, you have to listen to believe.

3. Beethoven piano concerto no.1/ Mind you? Michaelangeli
To be honest, I don't listen to it as often now. But the way he play the cadenza at the end of first movement is incredible. Very imaginative and powerful! I bet Beethoven himself would be veryimpressed if he had a chance to listen to Michaelangeli's playing. Every time the music hits the cadenza, I always have to rewind the section to listen to it again, I can never get enough of it.

Allright, ur turn now!

Jul 2, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Luvya
I can't speak of them all...and I might be bias to the albums I choose to speak of, but here it goes...you can add the albums that u r fond of, I will be very interested in hearing ur choices.

1. Grieg Piano concerto/ Michaelangeli
The live version on BBC legendary label (I think) is just INCREDIBLE!! The recording is so bad that I normally wouldn't even think of buying it but the playing is so powerful!!! It's impossible to ignore! If it doesn't get ur blood pump up, you are more than likely a dead man. Oh..and the Ravel after the concerto is just equally awesome! Try track 8, god...unbelievable clarity on the high notes at the end of the track!! It will appeal even to people who don't play piano.

2. Ravel Piano concerto/ Michaelangeli
The 2nd movement, yeah...I know a lot of people talk about it already (just look at Amazon.com) but the playing is just unearthly. The tone totally change from 1st and 3rd movement, it's like Michaelangeli turn his mood 360 degree..from delightful to utter soberness. Words fail me, you have to listen to believe.

3. Beethoven piano concerto no.1/ Mind you? Michaelangeli
To be honest, I don't listen to it as often now. But the way he play the cadenza at the end of first movement is incredible. Very imaginative and powerful! I bet Beethoven himself would be veryimpressed if he had a chance to listen to Michaelangeli's playing. Every time the music hits the cadenza, I always have to rewind the section to listen to it again, I can never get enough of it.

Allright, ur turn now!

You forgot his Brahms Balledes.

Jul 2, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 10
For me, the first 2 albums I got:
Vivaldi - Four Seasons - Bionde
Mozart - Requiem - Weil

Jul 3, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Since I assume you like piano, I like Tchaikovsky's piano concerto. It has a very melodic beauty to it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already know it. I listen to Horowitz Live version mostly, his skill in many ways, rival or even surpass that of Michaelangeli. Awesome technique! I didn't care much for his Mozart though.

Jul 3, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
You forgot his Brahms Balledes.

Hehe, I like your suggestion, but I have already found a better interpreter in Brahm's ballade....Guess who that is? Glenn Gould!

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Luvya
... but I have already found a better interpreter in Brahm's ballade....Guess who that is? Glenn Gould!

Better? While I wouldn't have used that term, GG's playing of the ballades is certainly interesting.

I would estimate that you hear 60% Brahms and 40% Gould, though.

Jul 3, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Classical music snuck up on my when I was a kid by means of Bugs Bunny cartoons and the Lone Ranger re-runs. Then a few of my folks "Light Classics" albums (Boston Pops). Reguardless of what I'm "into" this month, I get pulled back to many of the classics.

I just mentioned Vocalise and Four Seasons in another thread. Vocalise always hit me a Rachmaninov mourning "what could have been" whether it was his country (Russia) or some aspect of his life. But the final notes always leave it with a sense of hope.

Four Seasons is a musical landscape painting, and a great one at that. An aural Monet (I'm sure someone else has said that, but I don't know who, so I am.)

Smetena's Moldau is another that "takes me away" as the music floats down the stream, then river the music describes.

Others are the "view" of the Grand Canyon Suite, the fleeing of the French in the 1812 Overture, and the stripper in Bach's Air on the G String

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back