Some Newbie Questions - Soundcard, Amps, External Dacs, Price, etc. Essence ST/STX
Mar 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bunit

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been a lurker for a really long time, pretty much since I signed up but haven't posted much.  As of now I have an M50 and thats pretty much it as far as head-fi sourced gear goes.
I tried using the search form, and just browsing the forums for some answers but I didn't really find anything definitive.

Priorities:
1) Music (SQ)
2) Gaming (Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D needed for positional audio purposes)
3) Price
4) Portability doesn't really matter too much.

-I'm planning on getting Ultrasone Pro 900s, which from my reading seems to not be the hardest headphone to drive in the world, but one that still benefits from amping.

-I plan on getting a soundcard - either an Asus Xonar Essence ST/STX or cheaper solution, depending if I can get away with it sound quality wise.  I've heard some good things about the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD (especially compared to previous iterations from much-maligned Creative).  I'm not sure, because I haven't tried either, but I think I would prefer Dolby headphone over CMSS-3D for gaming purposes.  I don't have a super strong opinion on this - my reason is just internet research, drivers, and some youtube demos of each of the technologies so any input on those would be great.  Make no mistake though, music is still first.  I'm not thrilled about dropping $170+ on a soundcard so if anybody has any other suggestions for decent quality besides the Essence ST/STX, I'm all ears.

-I plan on getting an amp - either the much anticipated FiiO E11 or a standalone full-sized amp below $100 (need suggestions on this too, I've been researching but haven't found much).  Do I even need an external amp though, if I get the Essence? (External amp would need to be under $100).  I've heard that standalone desktop full-size amps are usually better than their portable counterparts - and that makes sense to me, but I really don't know much about the subject.  I know the Essence has a headphone amp built in...is it good comparable to headphone amps <$100 or would buying a separate amp in that price category be a worthwhile venture?

-With a card like the Essence, do I even need an external DAC?  I mean, if I'm only going to spend 50-100$ on an external DAC will it be any better than the sound card?  I'm leaning heavily against buying an external DAC if I already have the Essence, but if I opt for a cheaper soundcard (Way cheaper) then I'd be open to potential AMP/DAC combinations <$200.

Basically, I'm mostly wondering whether or not it's even worth it to purchase an external amp and/or DAC (with a budget of $100-$150 for both) if I'm going to have a Xonar Essence ST/STX?  Should I be taking this another direction, and looking at solutions like a Mixamp for my Dolby Headphone needs?  I'm a little lost and not sure what to do, so any help is greatly appreciated.  I've figured out the cans, I've figured out the sound card (somewhat...), have an idea for the amp/dac but don't really have a clue whether or not there is any real point in getting them if I"m going to be very budget constrained.

If this is confusing, sorry, so I"ll try and summarize.  Basically, two options:

A)
-Ultrasone Pro 900s
-Xonar Essence ST/STX
-Is an amp even necessary? If so, E11 or budget desktop amp <$100 

Cost: 170 + 60 (E11 supposed price point) = 230 or if more expensive desktop amp = $270

B)
-Ultrasone Pro 900s
-Much cheaper soundcard - either a cheap Xonar or X-Fi purely for Dolby Headphone processing/CMSS-3D stuff
-External Amp - E11 or budget desktop amp <$100
-DAC as a part of DAC/Amp combo <$200 or external DAC < $100

Cost: ~roughly $240 depending on which sound card I get

I'm mostly confused about the budget AMP + Essence situation, with a bunch of side questions sprinkled all over the place.
Thanks for any help

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't think you will do better than the Essenses amp for under 100 dollars. The amp on the Essense cards is pretty good. Not perfect but very good. You would have to spend the equivolent of the Essense card to get better sound.

The sound coming out of the stock line out though good is not the cats meow either without some minor mods. I D.C. coupled mine & it sounds great to me as well as all who have heard my system. These cards are very good to start & minor mods really put them over the top competing with much more expensive equipment.

I would save your money that you would be spending on a cheap amp as you would not be doing yourself any favor

I had a friend of mines son come over to my place that expressed that he really doesn't usually hear much difference in sound systems he's heard so he doubted he would on mine but after hearing mine his jaw dropped & he expessed how much better it sounded than anything he heard in the past.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Oh, that actually sounds pretty good then.  So no need for an external amp?  I guess I"ll still be keeping an eye out on the E11 because expectations for it are pretty high (and its pretty cheap!!) and being a college student I don't have a ton of space and a portable amp COULD have its merits, but whooo less money spent! 

....for now. 
beyersmile.png

Still open to various people's opinions/thoughts.  I'm pretty new to the whole modding thing but it seems like it could be fun, I have to admit I am scared of messing up/breaking my soundcard though...

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 7
For op-amps just match the Notch on the op-amp to the notch on the socket, And when your using the headphone amp out, you gotta put teh same Two op-amps in both I/V. A tool like a bios chip remover or a flat butter knife and lifting up is how you remove the op-amps. Then when you go to install different ones you may have to flatten the pins straight so you can press it in.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 7
Sounds like you're in about the same position as me. I have a pretty good motherboard: ASUS p8p67 Pro and honestly I can't tell the difference between the on board audio and the xonar essence STX. I read around and apparently the on board audio is pretty decent. The thing that sets it apart is the Dolby headphone. Thing is, I can get Dolby headphone for a hell of a lot cheaper. I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT 880 32Ohm coming tomorrow and if I still can't see much of an improvement it's all going back or at least the sound card is. $500 is way too much money to be like "Meh". 

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 7
i would get the xonar skip the whole fiio line

then if u want to venture and spend more go to a higher tier of dac/amp

dont buy both xonar and external amp

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Well I got the DT 880 32 Ohm and yes, they are better then my ATH AD700 set. They make the ATH AD700 set sound a lot more "tinny" if that makes sense. That's what it seems like to me anyway. But they also cost $200 more so now it's a question of if they are $200 more worth it. I still have yet to see if I can tell the difference between on board and essence STX with the DT 880 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back