some newbie diy questions
Aug 19, 2004 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

h3nG

100+ Head-Fier
do i have to worry about grounding issues for anodized cases?

also, will a spst switch work as a power switch for a ppa?

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes and yes.

You always have to worry about grounding issues, simply because there's a lot of different kinds of them. Any particular situation you're worried about?

SPST (on-break) switches are fine for power switches. Unless you're doing something unusual like powering two circuits with the same power supply, you only need a single pole; You see a lot of SPDT (on1-on2) switches used, but that's mostly because you can make on2 = break.

Aug 19, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 5
thanks, i just wanted to make sure.

i remember reading on tangent's guide that spst are good for power switches. but wasn't sure if it was ppa compatible because on the topology the s1- and s2+ didn't look like they were on the same node. and when the two wires shorting the s1- and s1+ came into contact by accident (during stage 6 of tangent's tutorial), i saw a spark. think harm could have been done? it didn't seem so bad and everything still works accordingly.

so technically, if i wanted to keep the ppa on at all times it's ok to short the four holes for the s1- and s1+?

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

do i have to worry about grounding issues for anodized cases?

If you plan on drilling holes in the panel, then yes! The inside of the hole isn't going to be anodized. Plus, counting on the insulation of the anodization is a gamble, even the hole inside aside. Tighten a nut down too hard and you scratch through the anodization layer.

Quote:

will a spst switch work as a power switch for a ppa?

DPDT is not essential. You can short S1- and switch just S1+.

Quote:

i saw a spark. think harm could have been done?

Not likely.

Quote:

if i wanted to keep the ppa on at all times it's ok to short the four holes for the s1- and s1+?

Yes. Obviously not all four pads together, but with two jumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back