Some new pics of my home rig
Aug 13, 2001 at 5:59 AM Post #31 of 48
LOL, thanks, Jude... don't you remember me saying that you should change my custom title to "Jude's Evil Equipment Twin"?
wink.gif

The headphone rig is in my office right next to my desk/computer, right next to my office chair (within arm's reach). I spend a *lot* of time in there because of my jobs. My better half wishes the headphone rig was somewhere else, so I didn't spend so much time in there
wink.gif

As for the CD changer-holder-thingy, it is cool, eh?
wink.gif
I bought it about 7 or 8 years ago when I had my last CD changer. It's been in storage for years; when I got the 333 I suddenly remembered that I had it. It's such a simple idea: a CD holder that lets you remember WHAT CDs are in the changer in WHAT order -- how many times have you forgotten which was which, and cycled through the changer to figure it out? Anyways, I bought it through mail order from a company named "Cogneo Designs" in Colorado. I did a web search, and the company seems to be gone -- all I could find is a big dot-com company here in CA that is completely different.

The ICs between the 333 and Max are Kimber PBJs. I've had these things for at least 7 years, and they've been great in every system I've had. I've heard other people say they're "bright" but I've never experienced that (of course, they were mainly being used with NAD gear before, which is never described as bright -- maybe that's why they were a good match?). I think they sound great with the 333 and Max and Senns. I may eventually try out some other ICs to compare (once I pay off my recent purchases
wink.gif
).

Aagh... I just realized that I forgot to include a picture of the Optimus 3400 CDP. I'll have to do that.

Aug 13, 2001 at 6:09 AM Post #33 of 48
Check it out (added it)
wink.gif
This is the CDP from 1993/1994 that many people still claim is the best portie ever. There are still tons of mods floating around out there for it. They sell for around $130 on ebay, and they're 7/8 years old!

Aug 13, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #34 of 48
Macdef, that's a very nice set up ... The new Max sure looks like a winner not to mention the 333...Hopefully someday someone will do a sound quality comparison between the new and the old Max...

Aug 13, 2001 at 8:45 AM Post #35 of 48
MacDEF~

Very nice set up ~!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Got room for a MP3 player ?
wink.gif

Tides

Aug 13, 2001 at 4:55 PM Post #36 of 48
MacDEF: You have all that stuff. And you live in a place where they sell MDs in the Walgreens! Grrr.........envy is one thing....hatred is another, lol...... j/k
biggrin.gif

Beauteefull setup...

Aug 13, 2001 at 5:51 PM Post #37 of 48
Thanks for the kind comments, all. I almost didn't post the pix, but I figured only people here would appreciate them
wink.gif
Few people I know even understand the concept of a headphone amp...

Aug 13, 2001 at 7:02 PM Post #39 of 48
Damn, I'm *envious*. Really nice stuff.

squirt: Damn. I forgot to do that at the meet. Shewt. However, I know that the Old Max (that they had there) had a greenish faceplate with gold lettering, versus the New Max's black with white lettering.

Aug 13, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

I like your headphone hangers!

Thanks, Kurt! They're quite handy... when I first got the stand, I was trying to fit all the cans on a shelf, and it was a mess. I didn't want to hang anything on the wall, either. So I decided to just make something.

They're actually pretty simple: each one is just a 3/4" pipe coupler, attached via a 3" L-bracket (1/2" wide). The Z stand has adjustable shelves, so there are shelf bolt holes on the inner surface of the stand supports (every few inches). I simply bolted each L bracket to the stand supports. The pipe couplers are the kinds with screws to anchor the pipes that are supposed to be inserted. I was able to put the couplers over the L brackets and fasten them with the screws (if you look closely, you can see the screws on the bottom of each hanger).

They turned out to be *perfect* for headphones (they should be able to hold at least 30 pounds
wink.gif
). My next mod for them is to wrap them in some sort of soft casing so that my headphones aren't resting on metal. I haven't yet decided what to use, though. I tend to just walk aimlessly through our local hardware store, looking at all the stuff until I see something that I can "make work"
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2001 at 8:11 PM Post #42 of 48
Sweet Setup MacDEF, I can't wait to post pics of my setup. Technically as of right now, I don't really have a headphone rig, since it only consists of my HD600s and a Sony PCDP, but the rest of it was supposed to have arrived on Sat. morning. I'm waiting on Blr's SR-60s, OBH-11 and some interconnects. However, in typical delivery service fashion, I went out for no more than 25 minutes on Sat. afternoon and that's when the registered mail was delivered which they couldn't leave outside because it was raining (I do thank the mailman for that at least) so I have to wait until Monday, so I've been anxiously awaiting the end of my work day so I can go play with my audio equipment when I get home.

I was so mad because Saturday afternoon would have been the perfect rainy day to stay inside and listen to all my toys and take pics too, although now that I think about it, my digital camera with with my parents in Canada.

Aug 15, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

My next mod for them is to wrap them in some sort of soft casing so that my headphones aren't resting on metal. I haven't yet decided what to use, though. I tend to just walk aimlessly through our local hardware store, looking at all the stuff until I see something that I can "make work"

Ever thought about the foamy stuff used on bicycle handle bars?

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2001 at 5:03 AM Post #45 of 48
Look in the plumbing section of you local Wal-Mart (or equivilant) for pre-formed pipe insulation foam. Its exactly what you and bootman are describing.

Nice setup. How's the Ken Burns set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back