Some maybe stupid queries on the 3Move
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Been playing with this now for about a month and really love the sound. Withmy Imod and X10 or modded Ety4p, it's all I need in a portable system.

Now the questions: I'm very electronically illiterate so need a little help. The instructions with the Move state that when I put the switches to low battery consumption the "maximum output voltage is reduced from 8 to 3.5 volts" Understand that, but will this affect the overall SQ of the amp?? If it will, then I'll go back to the higher output and just recharge the battery more.

Secondly, I was under the impression that the amp had a built in recharging system. I now see this is not the case. That's OK, but wondering how many times I can remove and install the battery door before it begins to wear.

Finally---when I use the wall-wart should I reduce the voltage coming into the amp, since those instructions quoted above say the output voltage will be reduced???

Hope all this makes sense. Toldya I was electronically challenged.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been playing with this now for about a month and really love the sound. Withmy Imod and X10 or modded Ety4p, it's all I need in a portable system.

Now the questions: I'm very electronically illiterate so need a little help. The instructions with the Move state that when I put the switches to low battery consumption the "maximum output voltage is reduced from 8 to 3.5 volts" Understand that, but will this affect the overall SQ of the amp?? If it will, then I'll go back to the higher output and just recharge the battery more.

Secondly, I was under the impression that the amp had a built in recharging system. I now see this is not the case. That's OK, but wondering how many times I can remove and install the battery door before it begins to wear.

Finally---when I use the wall-wart should I reduce the voltage coming into the amp, since those instructions quoted above say the output voltage will be reduced???

Hope all this makes sense. Toldya I was electronically challenged.

The low consumption mode should not affect the sound of your IEM if all it is doing is lowering the voltage swing, but it will make a difference in driving higher impedance headphones.

I would think the battery door would not wear down fast, but the contacts for the 9v battery might compress over time and need to have the PCB removed from the case to stretch them back out if you get intermittent contact or the the contacts don't push the battery hard enough against the door to keep it tight. I've not had that happen yet to my 15 month old Headsix yet.

You can use the 3MOVE with laptop without a battery, and it will run in low output mode mode automagically, even when set for high output mode for portable use. It comes with high output as the default setting, and you will still get approx 50 hours on the 9v alkaline, vs 100 for low output mode, depending on headphones and volumes you listen to it at.

With a wallwart, it will stop using battery or USB power for the amp section, and use whatever voltage to you offer it with the wallwart, anywhere from 6v to 12v is allowed I believe. With a 12v wallwart the voltage swing and power will be greater than with a 6v. I believe the DAC section always runs off USB, even with battery or wallwart.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With a wallwart, it will stop using battery or USB power for the amp section, and use whatever voltage to you offer it with the wallwart, anywhere from 6v to 12v is allowed I believe. With a 12v wallwart the voltage swing and power will be greater than with a 6v.

Here's what I got in an email from Dr. Meier -

" Output voltage should be 12V regulated (!). Output amperage is not important. Anything higher than 50 mA will do fine."

So what kind of wall-wart do I need and where do I get it ?

V.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vsapra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what I got in an email from Dr. Meier -

" Output voltage should be 12V regulated (!). Output amperage is not important. Anything higher than 50 mA will do fine."

So what kind of wall-wart do I need and where do I get it ?

V.

The back of my 3MOVE near the power says 6..12v DC Regulated (+) tip

I was pretty sure if you used 6v or 9v you just got lower power. Some wallwarts do not regulate the power well and when set at 12v they could peak at 15-17v and hurt the equipment. I test ones I buy and keep the ones that are stable with and without a load. Radio shack makes good ones that are stable, but I still tend to use them at a lower voltage than the max it can handle (9v).

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 9
OK guys, thanks for the clarification. I'm using a wallwart from Radio Shack where you move a little switch to vary the power from very low --about 3v if I recall--to 12v. That was part of the reason for my question.

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Larry: thanks for the info. Will do it.

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 9
I just got my first amp today - a 3Move and enjoying it with a 9v battery so much......got it switched to Low mode since I am using D2k's. Jaw shaking bass, great mids as advertised! wow!

Think I might hold off on a wallwart for now - does that change the listening experience at all?

V.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vsapra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my first amp today - a 3Move and enjoying it with a 9v battery so much......got it switched to Low mode since I am using D2k's. Jaw shaking bass, great mids as advertised! wow!

Think I might hold off on a wallwart for now - does that change the listening experience at all?

V.

No, just saves the batteries. I was under the initial, mistaken impression that the amp had a built-in recharging circuit. It does not. So all the wallwart does is saves batteries since the battery does not discharge while the wallwart is plugged in to the amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back