Some iPod questions
Jul 5, 2006 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
I’m thinking about buying a 60 gig iPod, probably a photo, and putting Rockbox on it but I have some questions.
  • I remember awhile back (3G I think?) iPod’s had some problems with low impedance IEM’s like the Shure E4’s which caused a bass rolloff. Right now I’m using E4’s but the plan will be to upgrade to E500’s at some point in the near future. Do the 4G and 5G iPods still have this impedance issue?
  • I'd prefer to use a leather case of some sort, any recommendations for something reasonably priced, attractive yet durable? Doesn't necessarily have to be leather either, that's just a preference.
  • Initially I plan to just use the iPod on its own, I’m not fond of the idea of carrying around an amp everywhere but I might look into a small portable amp for use around home or work while still using the iPod on it’s own in portable situations. What would be the best line out scenario for this type of use?
  • Any other necessary accessories I should be looking at?

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I’m thinking about buying a 60 gig iPod, probably a photo, and putting Rockbox on it but I have some questions.
  1. I remember awhile back (3G I think?) iPod’s had some problems with low impedance IEM’s like the Shure E4’s which caused a bass rolloff. Right now I’m using E4’s but the plan will be to upgrade to E500’s at some point in the near future. Do the 4G and 5G iPods still have this impedance issue?

My understanding is it was an issue with 4G... I don't remember the exact cause, but I also remember there were issues with the 4G photo because the headphone jack is also used for transmitting the photos to an outside source (for slideshows on a TV & the like). I don't see any noticable roll-off on my 3G, though it lacks the punch of my 5G Video. The 5G definitely have the best headphone out in my experience with 2G, 3G, 4G & 5G iPods.
Quote:

1. I'd prefer to use a leather case of some sort, any recommendations for something reasonably priced, attractive yet durable? Doesn't necessarily have to be leather either, that's just a preference.

I'd suggest my Vaja, which I love. But it wasn't cheap.
Quote:

1. Initially I plan to just use the iPod on its own, I’m not fond of the idea of carrying around an amp everywhere but I might look into a small portable amp for use around home or work while still using the iPod on it’s own in portable situations. What would be the best line out scenario for this type of use?

I've stopped using an amp with my 5G. The headphone out is that much improved that the benefits don't outweigh the added bulkiness, and my E4c's sound great. I do have the SIK DIN to get the line out when I need it, but I use it less and less.
Quote:

1. Any other necessary accessories I should be looking at?

I like the new docks... having the ability to control the iPod with my stereo from across the room is very nice.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

• I remember awhile back (3G I think?) iPod’s had some problems with low impedance IEM’s like the Shure E4’s which caused a bass rolloff. Right now I’m using E4’s but the plan will be to upgrade to E500’s at some point in the near future. Do the 4G and 5G iPods still have this impedance issue?
  • I'd prefer to use a leather case of some sort, any recommendations for something reasonably priced, attractive yet durable? Doesn't necessarily have to be leather either, that's just a preference.
  • Initially I plan to just use the iPod on its own, I’m not fond of the idea of carrying around an amp everywhere but I might look into a small portable amp for use around home or work while still using the iPod on it’s own in portable situations. What would be the best line out scenario for this type of use?
  • Any other necessary accessories I should be looking at?

1. No idea, but en480c4 seems to have described it well. Any impedence issues I'm pretty sure have been solved.

2. I always thought that a Vaja case was above and beyond the call of duty. Regardless, they make beautiful products that will last a lifetime. I personally wouldn't buy one unless I was already splurging, as a 10$ Silicon Skin is very durable, impact proof, won't move around, offers great protection and can be washed (by hand of course).

3. Initial impressions made the E500s out to be much more enjoyable with an amplifier. The E4s also sound better amped in my opinion, but that's less of a difference between amped and unamped versus the E500. If you're looking for a budget amplifier then the Pa2v2 has great synergy with the E4s, but for the E500s you may want to look at something higher-quality in the range of a Hornet, SR-71 or AE-1 (all very popular protable amplifiers, but you'll have to test and find which matches the specific sound you'd like from the E500s). I'd wait on a high-end amp until people post impressions on them.

4. If you're using an amplifier, you'll need a dock/cable setup. Check out Audiolineout (i think that's the proper name) as the builder is a member of head-fi and from what I've seen and heard does great work. Also a turbodock (member; TURBO) does great work, but then you'll need a cable as well.

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the help guys!
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
My understanding is it was an issue with 4G... I don't remember the exact cause, but I also remember there were issues with the 4G photo because the headphone jack is also used for transmitting the photos to an outside source (for slideshows on a TV & the like). I don't see any noticable roll-off on my 3G, though it lacks the punch of my 5G Video. The 5G definitely have the best headphone out in my experience with 2G, 3G, 4G & 5G iPods.

Interesting, I had been leaning towards a refurbed Photo but with this and some other things I've read in the past couple of days it might make more sense to invest a bit more in the video.
Quote:

I'd suggest my Vaja, which I love. But it wasn't cheap.

I have a Vaja for my Carbon, I love it but they are rather expensive and somewhat bulky, I'm hoping to find something a little cheaper and slicker.
Quote:

I've stopped using an amp with my 5G. The headphone out is that much improved that the benefits don't outweigh the added bulkiness, and my E4c's sound great. I do have the SIK DIN to get the line out when I need it, but I use it less and less.

I hear ya, I hate the bulk it would add as well which is why I wouldn't be using an amp on the go, just around home.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
2. I always thought that a Vaja case was above and beyond the call of duty. Regardless, they make beautiful products that will last a lifetime. I personally wouldn't buy one unless I was already splurging, as a 10$ Silicon Skin is very durable, impact proof, won't move around, offers great protection and can be washed (by hand of course).

Do you happen to have a link for the Silicon Skin?
Quote:

3. Initial impressions made the E500s out to be much more enjoyable with an amplifier. The E4s also sound better amped in my opinion, but that's less of a difference between amped and unamped versus the E500. If you're looking for a budget amplifier then the Pa2v2 has great synergy with the E4s, but for the E500s you may want to look at something higher-quality in the range of a Hornet, SR-71 or AE-1 (all very popular protable amplifiers, but you'll have to test and find which matches the specific sound you'd like from the E500s). I'd wait on a high-end amp until people post impressions on them.

I actually had a pre-production pair of E500's here for about a week before the mini-meet we had a couple of months back. Yes they definately sounded better using my GS-1 but they were excellent straight out of my Carbon as well.
Quote:

4. If you're using an amplifier, you'll need a dock/cable setup. Check out Audiolineout (i think that's the proper name) as the builder is a member of head-fi and from what I've seen and heard does great work. Also a turbodock (member; TURBO) does great work, but then you'll need a cable as well.

I keep hearing good things about the RWA iMod but from my understanding they won't do it on the new 5G's and it requires that you use an amp all the time so it's not that attractive for me. I've also read good things about Audiolineout and the Turbodock. Any idea's which is better? Also any idea of which Audiolineout solution offers the best price/performance ratio?

Any other comments and suggestions are welcome.

Jul 9, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Well, I just finished getting Rockbox up and running on my 60GB 5G. I'm running a build that has the latest patches, including album art. I also got a custom WPS (While Playing Screen) up and running. Well, but custom I mean heavily modified theme originally developed by someone else. But the ability to completely customize the interface is pretty impressive. I haven't had a chance to do any critical listening, but initial impressions are quite positive. There are a few hiccups in the bootloader install instructions right now, but the Rockbox Forums have everything you'll need.

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TAsunder
Did you have to create that build yourself or did they finally integrate album art into the main build?

One of the guys on the Rockbox forums develops weekly "Experimental Builds" incorporating most of the popular patches. It's available here and I've had zero stability issues. Thankfully I found a program that was able to batch convert my album art (cover.jpg in sizes from 300x300 to 500x500) to the correct format (cover.bmp, 24 bit, 100x100). From there it's just incorporating the album art code into the WPS info or using one of the many out there that are already configured for it.

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 11
My thoughts.....

Skip the vaja case and get an invisible shield. I've got one on every portable I own and am thrilled with the results. Far less bulky and makes pocket carry much easier. Yet if you simply must have a leather case, the vaja is sweet. Had one for my karma and was very well pleased but as he said....they are pricey.

Skip the amp. I've got two 4G ipods and can't really see the benefits if you're going with IEM's. Far too cumbersome for portable use IMO. I'm tempted from time to time but know I'd have a bad case of buyers remorse and end up selling it if I did buy an amp.

As for rockbox, I've no experience with it therefore I have no opinion to share.

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 11
I second KenW's thoughts on the invisible shield. I walked into the local Apple dealer ready to buy a case for my 60G, and I was politely talked into the invisible shield. I love it. It's like having a naked iPod that happens to be unscratchable and washable. The Invisible Shield web site has a video that shows a complete installation for a 60G iPod. Go for it.

Nick B

Jul 12, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks again for the help guys, does anyone have a link for this invisible shield?

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Thanks again for the help guys, does anyone have a link for this invisible shield?

Don't go for the invisible shield. Its a great product once applied, but there in lies the problem: installation. It is really hard to install just right. I mean liquid, plastic, and twitchy fingers don't add up very well.

There is a much better product, Best Skins Ever Total Body Skin. It is just like invisible skin, except the plastic electro-statically clings to the iPod, which makes install much easier. And on top of that, its reusable which is great since nearly everyone replaces their iPod in a year through Apple Care. I think this skin is also cheaper, so basically its a much better product. I use it and have bought it for nearly 15 people as gifts, while cheap people love it.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...-5G/Categories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back