Some Initial Impressions of Beyer DT-440
Jun 5, 2004 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

strid3r

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I just wanted to post some impressions of the DT440s that I got from Meier Audio if anyone was interested in these cans. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I thought a newbie's impression could help a little. I bought these cans because I was looking for something that didn't require an amp, had an open design, and had a Grado-ish sound (with a little less treble). These looked like the perfect candidates, so I decided to sell my SR60s to get these. But lets get on with it:

Comfort:
When I took these out of the box, I thought, wow! These are kinda heavy. Definitely heavier than the SR-60s I had. I've had them on for a couple hours now, and it's still pretty comfortable. There is a slight pressure coming from the headband, but you forget about it.

Sound: (All LAME VBR mp3s)
I've only been listening to hip hop and rap with these so far, and the first thing that I noticed was the bass on these. Listening to some Lil Jon - Get Low and Petey Pablo - Freak-a-leek, it's very obvious. These things just hit strong and get really low. I remember with the SR-60s, it was really hard to listen because of the harsh high end, but I've been listening to it for a while now, and it's very nice.

Well, that's my newbie impressions so far. Hope to post a little more when I get more listening time in.

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for that. Let us know what you think of them after a bit more use when you have gotten more used to them. They seem like great headphones and possibly under-reated around here.

Jun 5, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Hey there,

there are few of us considering these cans. Would you be willing to write a full review or more comprehensive impessions to share with us all? Thanks in advance.

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Nice review!
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm still a little hesitant to add some more impressions as of right now. I just sent in my sound card (Audigy 2 ZS) for some opamp mods, so I'm listening to these out of onboard sound, so I feel as if I'm not reaching their full potential. But I'll try to help anyway I can and continue to add some more thoughts on these or answer any questions you guys have. Let's continue:

I've been listening to a lot of electronica/euro/trance out of these, and I'm pretty impressed. The bass on these are definitely a step up from the SR-60s. I'm not sure how to describe the sound, but it has a "togetherness" to it that's very enjoyable and fun to listen to. Probably why Lini termed them the Funkalizers
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back