Some help with new headphones and amp +introduction
Sep 28, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #16 of 19
 Thin in the highs compared to the HD598. I mentioned it because he thought the HD598 sounded thin, which I personally don't. W1000x has more bass and a lot more clarity than the 598, so he may like them. Looking forward to his report.

Still wouldn't agree (like I said, I wouldn't put the word "thin" near the W1000X), but again, that doesn't mean one of us is right or wrong. IMO the HD 5xx series are kind of limp and "generic" sounding - they don't do anything majorly wrong, but they don't do anything majorly right either. It's like they're betting small to prevent losing big. This comports with what Iskra described in the first post. W1000X OTOH is big and brassy, and I suspect that folks will either hate it or love it, because it's absolutely a colored headphone and it probably won't align with everyone's personal preferences. However based on what Iskra mentioned, to my ears, the W1000X sounds like an obvious candidate.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 19
Spotify comes pre installed on ps4.it doesn't get easier than that. Your phone is just the remote. There is no streaming in the sense you're thinking. I also use my ps3to stream from a nas which uses twonky server which works well. It was early days when dlna upnp stunk. Firmware has made Playstation quite solid now for streaming.

Could have saved a few bucks but no biggie. You would have likely still needed a dac

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 19
I've now ordered X1000W and a NAD3202. The W1000X should, according to the huge gap in price, be the better on of them and the 598. But who knows, I might end up with a higher end Sennheiser :wink:

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 19
Got the headphones today but I haven't had that much time to listen, but I got a few first impressions.

Haven't got my NAD 3020 amp yet, so I listened through my Denon X1000 AVR, which is far from ideal. I have a feeling that the NAD will color the sound abit darker aswell, but that remains to be seen.

Firstly, those who say that they sound thin, I can see where they're coming from. I wouldn't go as far as calling them thin, rather airy. The mid-high are very prominent, however never sharp. The mids, in my fairly newbie ears sounds abit held back. The bass is however very satisfying. I've never owned mid-high end equipment, and it amazed me how very revealing these headphones are. Bad recordings sounds just that, bad. So i'd say the X1000W are quite analytic.

I listen to a quite wide variety of music, from sing-and-song writers to hiphop and reggae. The bass, one drops and the likes are really satisfying in reggae songs. Badly recorded hiphop is really sad to listen to, but good ones, like the album Violence begets Violence by Jedi Mind Tricks is just awesome. Haven't had time to listen to acoustic music yet though.

The soundstage is alittle bit of a disappointment, comparing to my old Sennheiser HD598, but thats what to be expected from a closed back headphone, so I'm not really chocked.

Hopefully I'll get my amp tomorrow and the time to listen abit more, aswell as burn in the headphones. Probably watch a movie with them aswell. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back