Some Help on New Phones?
Nov 13, 2008 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

prisoner6

New Head-Fier
My current situation is this. I listen mostly to a 4G iPod nano, am not interested in adding amp or other device, it needs to stay very small and mobile.

I listen to wide variety of music from jazz and classical to pop and world, but mostly in the area of pop/rock for this argument.

Currently I use Senn CX300, and I like them, just don't love them. I don't want to put a ton of money into a new pair, but would like something sub-$100. I am not a bass-head, but enjoy realistic bass response, and I would love to get some clearer highs than what I see currently in the Senns. Very crisp and clean sound is my goal.

Some prospects are:

Denon c551 - Can get for a good price on amazon, though I am unsure of the seller.
New Apple in-ears - Like the idea of teh dual drivers, but not out yet and not sure of sound quality yet with no reviews.
er6i - Not a lot of bass, but seem okay other than that.
d-Jays - Heard good things, but again, not sure.

Your thoughts? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Of those, I'd say either the 551s or the ER-6is. The 551s are bass-heavy, while the ER-6is are bass-light. The ER-61s isolate better. The 551s are currently cheaper. Pros and cons.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks! After some research I'm adding the UE Super.Fi 4 to the mix.

I saw a nice price for the Denon's on amazon, but it's clear that the seller isn't an authorized seller and I'm unsure about buying from someone blindly. I would typically trust if it was from amazon themselves.

On another note, How far would I have to go to be outpace the reward? In other words, I know the limitations of my source material using the iPod. I don't want to buy phones that go over that limitation. Obviously the really nice pairs will be capable of much more than what my iPod will push.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back