Some help - Metal techno?
Mar 15, 2003 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mlchang

100+ Head-Fier
I have a friend who says he likes metal. However, he is interested in learning more about "electronica/techno". He's looking for something that is kind of like a fusion of the two (metal and electronic). I searched some through here and skimmed (if you can call it that) the darkest desires threads. However, I know nothing about metal in any of its forms so I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 15, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 14
From your description, industrial/power electronica music might be the best place to start. I am not an expert in this area, but there are a few people who are.

Here are a few suggestions of stuff that I enjoy, that might be worth checking out.

Panacea: "Low Profile Darkness" and "Twisted Designs"
Intense and dark drum and bass

Pitch Shifter: "Submit" and "Desensitised"
Industrial/grind with electronics and samples.

Godflesh: "Songs of Love and Hate" and "Love and Hate in Dub"
"...in Dub" in particular has a great, yet brutal, hiphop feel to it.

Curse of the Golden Vampire: "Self titled"
Collaboration between Alec Empire (Atari Teenage Riot/Digital Hardcore Recordings) and Techno Animal. Intense breakbeat/noise.

The Sidewinder: "Colonised"
Side project from Techno Animal - similar vein to Curse of the Golden Vampire, but a lot more minimal in approach.

There are heaps and heaps more. I hope that Dusty Chalk will chime in here. Hope this helps!

Mar 17, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 14
Ministry (especially Land of Rape and Honey and Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste and maybe the new one)

The Mortal Kombat series of soundtracks

Emperor? (got this from another board -- this subject actually came up once or twice on TPOM:

http://www.tpom.com/pmboard/index.php)

Coroner's greatest hits had a remix of "Grin" which is just killer. I listen to this track all the time.

I'll second Nine Inch Nails' Broken.

But I have to question Throbbing Gristle -- what metal?

Finally, there was an album, Hellcrasher? Hell-something-er, not -crasher...anyway, it was a bunch of metal guys meeting a bunch of techno guys, exactly what you're looking for...will edit post if I remember.

Mar 18, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 14
Berzerker - this stuff is very much death/thrash/whatever (i'm more into the electronic stuff than the metal so yeah) - metal but using drum machines and samplers and stuff in there as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back