Some help finding vocals
Jul 12, 2008 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
So a while back pandora popped up sikth on a recommendation, and I liked them. Thing is, I typically really do not like screaming, but the screaming singing alternating got me. Recently a friend recommended Protest the Hero, and once again I didn't care much for the screaming, but enjoyed the vocals immensely, namely those on sequoia throne at the start when he sings. I don't know really how to describe it but in the early singing in that song it sounds like his voice is being pushed to the limit while singing, not screaming, and I really like it. It was something I noticed in Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil, when the singer's voice cracked while singing because of the surgery he had. So I am asking for bands that have singers that seem to be pushing the vocal range, and good music helps too. (For another reference I find sikth's peepshow to be a perfect balance of singing and screaming). Can you help me head-fi?

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Alexisonfire - "Accidents", "No Transitory"
As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us (album)
Chevelle
Deftones - Around the Fur, White Pony (albums)
Finch - What It Is to Burn (album)
Senses Fail - From the Depths of Dreams, Let it Enfold You (albums)
Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance, The Illusion of Safety (albums)

Hopefully I helped some...

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Protest the Hero is a great band! Sad that you don't like harsh vocals, really limiting your options for some great music there. Maybe you'll come to like them...but in the meantime, you should check out a band called Emarosa--I think that's exactly what you're looking for. Not a huge fan of these bands myself, but The Used and My Chemical Romance might also fit the bill. Slimmie Jimmie recommended Thrice, who are an absolutely FANTASTIC band--be sure to check them out as well. Cheers.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Since I am into metal this are all some for of it but here goes

Divine Heresy- Facebreaker Good song off there second album, Bringer Of Plauges IMO the best they done so far but they got a new vocalist for this album and some like the old one better (I think both are good.)

The Agonist- Thank you pain, Great song the vocalist for this band has an amazing ability to switch between clean and guttural vocals in an amazingly short time. This comes from the album Lullabies for the dormant mind great album as a whole.

Scar Symmetry- I just got in to them they do melodic death with standard death metal growling vocals and then some clean vocals.

Edge of Sanity-Unorthodox The absolute first death metal band to include both clean and growls on one album

In This Moment- Never actually listened to them but from what I understand they fuse growls and singing together.

Hmm that is all I can think of for now.....more to come

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 5
Just wanted to thank everyone here. Was searching sikth on google and came back across this, in this process of checking everything out. Also if you like sikth you may like periphery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back