Some good Space-Rock recommendations?
May 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Not sur exactly where progressive rock ends and space-rock begins (or of the latter is a sub of the former) but either way, other than Pink Floyd (which I adore)-I have limited music from this genre.
Recently got into Amplifier which I think is space-rock...am really enjoying it.

What are the must have albums in the genres? (other than Pink Floyd)

May 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 19
You're welcome (Amplifier recommendation). I've got their whole catalog -- first album + EP, Insider, The Octopus + Fractal version 2.0 (outstanding package although pricey), and the Eternity and HAL EPs. Wonder of wonders, they seem to be following up their 150 minutes of excellent music released in 2011 (three discs including Fractal) with a 2012 album they're currently writing and recording called Mystorio.

Failure -- Fantastic Planet
Cave In -- Jupiter (I'm pretty sure you are well aware of this one as well as Oceansize and Karnivool stuff)
Frequency Fall -- Resensitize and Everything Now
Lake Trout -- Not Them You
Floating Me -- self-titled

The Life and Times / Shiner might be considered. Have you heard Fair to Midland? How about Maudlin of the Well? Secret Machines? Mansun's Six is excellent.

Karnivool has a 2012 album on the way as well.

May 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 19
disregard -- really dumb double post by me

May 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
You're welcome (Amplifier recommendation). I've got their whole catalog -- first album + EP, Insider, The Octopus + Fractal version 2.0 (outstanding package although pricey), and the Eternity and HAL EPs. Wonder of wonders, they seem to be following up their 150 minutes of excellent music released in 2011 (three discs including Fractal) with a 2012 album they're currently writing and recording called Mystorio.

Failure -- Fantastic Planet
Cave In -- Jupiter (I'm pretty sure you are well aware of this one as well as Oceansize and Karnivool stuff)
Frequency Fall -- Resensitize and Everything Now
Lake Trout -- Not Them You
Floating Me -- self-titled

The Life and Times / Shiner might be considered. Have you heard Fair to Midland? How about Maudlin of the Well? Secret Machines? Mansun's Six is excellent.

Karnivool has a 2012 album on the way as well.

You originally put me on to Amplifier?
Thank you...what a great band.
And yes, I love CI's Jupiter-one of my favorite albums of the post 2k's.
Love me some Karnivool too (particular b/c of the somewhat djenty-riffage. I like Oceansize but I find them at times a bit boring.

Im going to look into all of these as I am not familiar with any of the others. Thanks.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 19

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but should give it a try.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 19
Have you seen this site for Prog Rock? http://www.progarchives.com/
Go to the bottom of the space rock page for a list of space rock bands with links.

Space Rock
The late 1960's psychedelic rock scene also spawned the birth of the space rock genre. The pioneering acts of this genre assimilated krautrock elements like repetitive hypnotic beats and electronic/ambient soundscapes as they moved away from the common musical and compositional approach. The synthesizer with its bubbling tones and spacey patterns, provoking a gliding flow, is a typical instrument of this genre. Guitars are by preference played with glissando technique and delay/echo effects are heavily used, and elements originating from reggae/dub are fairly common. Several bands combine their live performances with trippy lightshows using random fractals. Albums in this genre will often include at least one long meandering jam based on a main theme, where loops and wavelike fluctuations provides slight variations to this structural foundation.

Stories, images, song titles and album names referring to cosmic themes are fairly common features of the genre. HAWKWIND's live album "Space Ritual" is said to be the ultimate space rock album due to the collaboration with sci-fi author Michael Moorcock. His lyrics are performed by a narrator and underlaid with synth elements. PINK FLOYD can be regarded as pioneers of spacey music during the band's early phase, as exemplified by certain tracks from "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" or the stirring live performance of "Careful With That Axe Eugene" from "Ummagumma". GROBSCHNITT provides another fine example of classic space rock with their epic effort "Solar Music". Other bands explored the space rock sound for a limited time period only. GONG released groundbreaking albums in the genre at the start of their career, while British hard rock band UFO released the extraordinary album "Flying - One Hour Space Rock" as their sole contribution to the genre in 1971.

A space rock scene can be found in most countries sporting artists producing music with a western-oriented or influenced sound. Swedish bands are known for a brisk exchange of musicians among each other. The "Strange Daze" festivals from 1997-2000 showcased the American space rock scene. Japan is an inexhaustible reservoir of artists exploring both psychedelic progressivce rock and progressive space rock. Representative examples of the style are bands such as ORESUND SPACE COLLECTIVE with their focus on long grooving improvisations, QUARKSPACE and OZRIC TENTACLES with their stronger emphasis on electronic elements and VESPERO and HIDRIA SPACEFOLK with their inclusion of ethnic-originating musical components. Other groups like ESCAPADE and THE LEGENDARY PINK DOTS represent an avantgarde approach to the genre, whereas the SUBARACHNOID SPACE and KINSKI are examples of artists that provide transitions to the post rock genre

Ozric Tentacles is pretty good.
Hawkwind
Arzachel
Axe
Camel (Favorite)
Dream Machine
Eloy
Mushroom
Nektar (another fav.)
IQ isn't listed is a space rock band but may be of interest.

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 19
Man or Astroman? A bit silly, but they fit the bill thematically...

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 19
+1 for Ayreon, especially "Into the Electric Castle" or both halves of the "Universal Migrator" double album, "The Dream Sequencer" and "Flight of the Migrator", not to mention "01011001", as well as Arjen's dedicated space-rock band Star One.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 19
+1 for Ozrics and Hawkwind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back