The Blamed
The Vines
The Hives
Foo Fighters (I like the new album.)
Roadside Monument

Jan 5, 2003 at 9:53 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Phreon
Metallica hasn't released anything in 6 years because they've morphed into greedy old, ClearChannel pimpin', RIAA slurping ****s. It's hard to come up with fresh music when Hilary Rosen's hand is so far up your ass. There, I said it!

No, I'm not crapping in the thread, Metallica used to be interesting. At one time, they encouraged bootleging; now they're corperate whores. I feel THAT strongly about the issue.

Phreon

g'day, i'm new here, nice to meet you all.

i know it's been talked to death, and i know fully well that i'm absolutely biased when it comes to metallica coz i'll defend the boys til the day i die - but - they're not corporate whores. they still encourage bootlegging, when it comes to making live recordings of gigs & the like. however, they don't believe swapping around copyrighted material from officially released albums & recordings en masse to be 'bootlegging', and neither do a lot of artists. admittedly, i still download stuff now & then to get a little taste of things, but i can appreciate their viewpoint - i don't think they deserve to be painted as corporate whores just because some people want to be cheap.

sorry that was rather OT.

as for bands, on top of some of the other recs i'd recommend soilwork, corrosion of conformity, jerry cantrell & AIC, soulfly, sevendust, slipknot, and i can't think of any others right now.

have fun!

Jan 5, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #19 of 29
lighter rock: Athenaeum NO QUESTION (best alternative band ever IMO)

Hard rock: Nine inch nails, Metallica, Queens of the stoneage, and my current favorite hard rock Audioslave

Jan 6, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #20 of 29
I got the new System of a down album recently.

As a review put it: "Even during the mayhem of "***** The System" the band can't help but sound like they're doing the 'chicken dance' on crack."

Jan 6, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 29
Placebo
Muse
Jimmy Eat World
New End Original
Biffy Clyro
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Cooper Temple Clause
Dredg
Incubus
The (International) Noise Conspiracy (but don't let the McCarthys get you
wink.gif
)

Jan 6, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 29
Modest Mouse
The Flaming Lips
Fugazi
Built to Spill

I am currently quite enamored by The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for... but they are all great bands.

Jan 6, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #23 of 29
You might also try a little Soundgarden...

Jan 7, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #24 of 29
one that I was just listening to the other day could be added:

Butthole Surfers - "weird revolution" great album to get acquainted with this often overlooked rock band!!!

Jan 7, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #26 of 29
Don't forget the punks that moved to mainstream.
Bad Religion and Offspring.
I like Buckcherry really well. Only two albums though. Good old hard rock style.
I'll add another vote for Queens of the Stone Age.

Jan 14, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #28 of 29
For some hard stuff check out ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead. Source Tags and Codes is their current album, and it's pretty good - I just got it a couple days ago and I'm still absorbing it. Every song is epic in scale and DENSE - there's just tons of layers going on at once, probably a little too much sometimes, but it's definitely an interesting listen. They've got a little art rock (a la Tool) in them too, and I think that's a good thing.

For a little more straightforward rock and roll with some punk thrown in, I highly recommend Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's self titled album - great, great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back