Some good in-canals please?
Dec 7, 2004 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

youngbuck

New Head-Fier
High people, this is my first post. I've been lurkin around here for a while, and am really impressed with the base of knowledge here. I hope to learn a lot more. Anyway...

I'm going to get an MP3 player pretty soon, like when the prices come down after Christmas (hopefully). The Creative Zen Micro definately has my attention. To compliment it, and my ears, I want a good pair of in-canal earphones.

70% of the reason for me getting an MP3 player is so I can listen to music while I'm thrashin' the slopes. This leads to several prerequisites:

First, these headphones must be comfortable. My ears need to stay pain free for hours (5-6 hrs). Along with this, they need to be very securly attached to my ears while I'm listening.

This leads to...

The second thing. Consider my activity. While I'm tearin it up on my snowboard and trying new stuff, I crash. So, they need to be durable. No wires that will easilly break internally or any crap like that... like I've seen on cheap headphones.

Third, I want good sound (doesn't have be audiophile quality though). I plan on putting the best encoded MP3s (kind of an oxymoron, eh?) I can on this player, and I really enjoy good sound. I mainly listen to various rocks (punk, classic, etc.) and various hardcore musics.

Now I've already done some research on this forum, ipodlounge, and a couple others. The majority of people seem to be recommending one of the following:

Shure E2Cs
Etymotic E6i's
or the Sony EX-81s.

A few people said that the Sonys would probably be the most secure in my ears. If this was the case, I may sacrifice the better sound quality of the other two for this (if it was also comfortable, and durable of course).

The E6i is as expensive as I can go.

Please help me out,

-YB

Dec 7, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 13
Although I haven't tried er-6is, I think calling the e2c bass better is iffy.
It's louder, that's for sure, but I found it very muddy.
I've had ER-6s and ER-4Ss to compare in terms of the ety line, and EX71s and Panasonic HJE50s, and the only one that had worse bass were the ex71s.

Dec 7, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 13
Etys or Shures will both stay in your ears better than the EX71s, dunno about the EX81s, but they're not a lot different. EX71s are very comfortable, but Ety foamies might suit you too.

I don't like Shures so I rarely recommend them except where a lot of isolation and cheap cost are the main requirements.

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 13
Another thing to think about is the profile these things present. If you fall and you're wearing Ety ER-4P's, you're screwed. To say you'd be in pain if these things take a direct hit would be a HUGE understatement. I love my Ety's, but don't the Shure E5C's and the Westone UM2's have really low profiles? They might be really good choices.

Dec 7, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
Another thing to think about is the profile these things present. If you fall and you're wearing Ety ER-4P's, you're screwed. To say you'd be in pain if these things take a direct hit would be a HUGE understatement. I love my Ety's, but don't the Shure E5C's and the Westone UM2's have really low profiles? They might be really good choices.

I've done many extreme sports, and have never had a problem with hitting my head/ear area of my body (except in a few extreme situations). Profile is not a concern at all.

Now I'm mainly considering the Shure E2Cs (although, it may be a considering to go with Less isolation), the Sony EX-81s, or the Sharp MD-33s. Any input more input from anyone would be greatly welcomed.

Also, I am very impressed with the timely replies to my post. I'll definately stick around here.

-YB

Oh yea, forgot to mention; which ones have the thicker wires as a durability indication? If a crash give one of the wires a decent yank I don't want somethin snappin inside (lol, I may be expecting too much though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 13
Do you own a mountain? Because if not I think it would be pretty dangerous to block out the 40 year old woman skiing for the first time who's yelling "I'm on your left" because she has no idea how to stop. Your idea sounds like a recipe for collisions. Maybe just use earbuds as to not block out the world completely.

But if you're committed to it the only option is the ex81. The other ones are pretty poor choices for your use, the 81 is secured to your ear, it doesn't just rely on a seal with your ear canal. Yeah it has the worst sound quality, but as you are flying down a hill you will miss ALL of the detail people laud other cans for. All of it. So just get the 81s.

Also you should get a flash based mp3 player if you are using it mostly for active things like snowboarding. Any hard drive WILL die if you keep jarring it.

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngbuck
I've done many extreme sports, and have never had a problem with hitting my head/ear area of my body (except in a few extreme situations). Profile is not a concern at all.

I think what's being brought up is that, while the risk may be only in the most extreme and unlikely, if your Etys or any other IEC get struck, you may be out an eardrum. Being one who would not be able to function normally without music, i'd recommend at least considering the lower-profile alternatives.

But, as stated, if you're committed to the idea, i've no right to stop you. I second the recommendation to get a flash player. I recently saw a gig of SD memory in a local ad for around $80, maybe less. Point being, if you really want a large collection, or will be on the same mountain for a few days, bring a few cards with their own genres or what have you, and you'll never have problems with library size.

Since no one has been courteous enough to greet you thus far:
Welcome to Head-Fi; sorry about your wallet.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 13
I have been a snowboard instuctor the past couple years here in Michigan, so I have a bit of experience. I own the Shure's, and have owned the sony's. I don't think you will have to worry about either of them falling off, but can definately say that the Sony's are much more comfortable.

In my experience, the sound quality difference is only there if you have heard both of them. To say that the sonys suck is not the whole story. the sonys suck when compared to much better, much more expensive equipment. But for the everyday listener, especially when on the slopes, the sony sound should be more than enough of improvement over the stock buds.

Again, this is just my experience and opinions.

I hope this helps.
-John

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 13
I vote for the Shure E2c's if a canal phone is what you desire. They are pretty durable and the sound is good. The only thing I am stuggling with is what if a tree branch or something like that catches the wire and yanks the canal phone out of your ear? Can you say POP! Sounds like you are set on the canal phone idea but I would try the Koss KSC 75's instead. They sound very nice (with almost no isolation) and would be more forgiving if the wire catches something.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanx again guys.

I don't need to worry (yet) about a branch or something snagging a wire, because, well, that's just not going to happen. If it does, oh well, my fault for not listening.

Going with a little less isolation is a good idea. The reason I am focused on in-canal earphones is because I don't want them falling off/out. Regular headphones will surely fall off in most of my crashes. Is there some other option, with a low profile, other than in-canal earphones?

Definately leaning towards the EX-81s. How durable are they? I've had a lot of cheap headphones that definately wear out quick. The wires break internally, and just whatever else. Anybody think this a real concern with the EX-81s?

Thanx for the solid state based player suggestion, ndrake. I was already thinking of it, but the idea was on the back burner because it'll be a month or two until I get one.

Another question... do most flash based MP3 players have removable storage? I have the Creative N200 or something similar to that in mind. I thought it was just a built in storage chip, non-removable.

Quote:

while the risk may be only in the most extreme and unlikely, if your Etys or any other IEC get struck, you may be out an eardrum.

Would this be as much of a concern with the EX-81s since they don't go into your ear nearly as much at the Shures or Etys?

Thanx guys!

-YB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back