Some good heat shrink
Nov 21, 2008 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
I've used heat shrink for insulating exposed component leads and for strain relief, but all the ones I've used were very stiff when shrunk(like hard rubber).
I also think the colors could have been more deeper. The black's I've gotten were hazy, and looked like dark gray. The red's i've gotten were hazy as well and looked pink.

Is there a certain type I should look out for? Polyolefin? pvc? 3:1? 2:1? different brands?
Anything from parts express or michael percy's would be great(since I'm ordering from there)

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Finding good red heat shrink that is not more pink than red has been the bane of my DIY existence for more than 2 years. Parts connextion has some great red stuff (Kimber brand IIRC) but the smallest they offer is 1/4" which has limited uses for smaller cables. I've got leads on a couple others to try but mostly I've started to just find other ways to designate right and left so that I can use all black shrink. The black that I use and like is from both wirecare.com and cableorganizer.com both of whom sell techflex brand heatshrink. I cannot recommend the red offered by either place as I find it to be way too pink.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Have you tried looking for stuff at Digikey, Mouser, Newark...? They all have stuff from 3M and other excellent brands. This stuff lists flexibility as a marking bullet:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

Let me know if that ^ link doesn't work, I'll try to get it to you a different way.

Also, have you tried expandable nylon tubing? That stuff is amazing and comes in various IDs. I usually stuff wires into it, then put a small length of shrink tubing on the end to keep it from fraying.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 8
I got lucky and found a bunch of good heat shrink on sale at a dollar store one time. 3M 3-1 it's good stuff. The radioshack black heat shrink comes out nice and glossy but it is hard as plastic when shrunk. Far from Ideal. Stick with 3M and you'll be fine.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 8
WOW! I forgot all about RadioShack shrink tubing. That's what I use when I want stuff to fail. I suppose if you have a bunch of it, you can shrink it all and use it as a really long/skinny drinking straw.

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 8
The main thing to avoid is PVC tubing. That's the shiny stuff that's really stiff....what Radio Shack carries.

The most common alternative is polyolefin, which has a "dusty" sort of surface. It's far superior to PVC.

There are more exotic sorts, but garden variety polyolefin is great stuff to just have on hand in bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back